Misfire

½cwt

I had similar issues with misfire and codes on all cylinders, the common point was the MAF.

Fitted this and all issues resolved. No need to buy OE. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173584892483

My security screws where also rotten, so used the Dremel on one and pliers on the other. Replaced with standard Phillips screws with the correct thread, no need to replace with security screws. 

12 hours ago, Barryn said:

I had similar issues with misfire and codes on all cylinders, the common point was the MAF.

Fitted this and all issues resolved. No need to buy OE. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173584892483

My security screws where also rotten, so used the Dremel on one and pliers on the other. Replaced with standard Phillips screws with the correct thread, no need to replace with security screws. 

Yes, aiming to replace with some cross head screws of the same thread and to put a bit of PTFE lubricant spray in the threads before refitting to hopefully make a future change easier if required. 

I've sourced a working used original Bosch item at a price that I could by 7 before I get to the cost of a new Bosch one let alone one from an OPC.

One late night Amazon purchase not to regret. I bought a set of Bosch security bits with other Torx and screwdriver blade fittings on a Prime account for under £11.  This evening I managed with a long reach tool to get on the outboard screw properly with downward pressure, MAF out, disconnected, error code cleared with my new iCarsoft V1.0 POR, running cleanly. 

Must be the MAF.

@naim22 is kindly dropping a used one to me on Saturday for a very fair price so hopefully properly back and running by lunchtime!  So even with fault code reader (£96), good security bit set (£11) - both will have future uses - and a similar price to DVB for a used MAF, I'm less than the cost of a new BOSCH OEM MAF out of pocket and change to buy a couple more second hand ones even if this one has a short life.

@CAZ - I might have to come to AV8 on 9th Feb after all to check all is well on a proper run, just the ABS sensor to do when it turns, but that's not essential.

4 hours ago, John2000 said:

Well done! I didn't have a long reach tool a problem  a lot of men suffer with i believe. I was booked in for a service so that sorted my access issue.

I keep it in the shed for emergencies, dont tell the wife.  Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

9 hours ago, GmanB said:

Fingers crossed on the fix, keep us updated! Good call on the cross head screws, what on earth were they thinking about security?

They must have planned for it to be changed as it fits to the whole intake/air filter housing, so its not even as if it is fitted to an inline removable section of pipework and they don't want you tampering with the sensor on its own.

6UJD897.jpg 

From my experience with these kind of things, the original OEM that specified the MAF will have done so with a removable housing, hence the security torx bits in place to ensure the whole housing + MAF was changed and not just the sensor. 

However when Porsche specified the DME, I imagine they did not want to design their own MAF so used a predesigned part that was already available (this is much cheaper) and compatible with the DME. The supplier would then have recommended the fixings they already used as they would have been validated for that part, again, it's much easier and cheaper for Porsche to use predesigned fixings (and the supplier may not have even accepted warranty if they didn't follow the recommendations), but porsches airbox design did not have that removable housing. Coupled with the fact that a MAF should really be a lifetime part, they likely deemed that was okay as in theory it wasn't going to need replacing all too much.

You can then see they moved to the removable housing design on the 987, I imagine this made their airbox even cheaper to manufacture and design as now the housing and MAF are predesigned, coupled with the learning from the 9x6 cars and how often the MAF did in fact need replacing.

All solved and running smoooothly.  Thanks to @naim22 for the part and his time/knowledge when he came over today.  Also cleaned the throttle body whilst I was ion the engine bay which was filthy.  Throttle response now feels better and power delivery smoother (placebo?) but runs cleaner at start up and when idling. According to the live OBD2 data it was over fuelling by around 25%.

😀 👍

On 2/1/2020 at 5:38 PM, ½cwt said:

All solved and running smoooothly.  Thanks to @naim22 for the part and his time/knowledge when he came over today.  Also cleaned the throttle body whilst I was ion the engine bay which was filthy.  Throttle response now feels better and power delivery smoother (placebo?) but runs cleaner at start up and when idling. According to the live OBD2 data it was over fuelling by around 25%.

😀 👍

Great job 👍

Just a tip from @naim22it seems to be the MAF part numbers ending 125.00, as my old one did, that fail more often but that could just be because they are older so may be coincidence.  If I do need another second hand one I'll ensure it is a 125.01 part number. 

So, if your car feels less sharp on throttle response or a slight unevenness on pick up or fuel consumption has dropped even if there is no misfire, check you MAF live data if you can, it could be on the way out, particularly if you've got an older one.

Seems the fact mine was failing was only really highlighted when the OPC cleared anything stored when the recoded my key and did a code sweep I requested but found nothing.  Glad I didn't pay them to fix it for at least 15 times the cost (genuinely) for a new MAF and labour!

Archived