Gearknob upgrade

naim22

The gearknob on my car is looking pretty tired and I was going to install an SSK (probably Ben's). The other 986 has a nice aluminium finished one, but the S comes with a standard one

Can the shift knob be easily swapped to a later spec one? Or one of a 987/997

I particularly like the 996 turbo flat topped style one, but they seem very rare

Has anyone done this?

2 hours ago, naim22 said:

The gearknob on my car is looking pretty tired and I was going to install an SSK (probably Ben's). The other 986 has a nice aluminium finished one, but the S comes with a standard one

Can the shift knob be easily swapped to a later spec one? Or one of a 987/997

I particularly like the 996 turbo flat topped style one, but they seem very rare

Has anyone done this?

If I recall @the baron has ordered a new aluminium knob in from the US of A in the last couple of months, that said I have seen him reported as fitted.  Steve?

Yes I installed a new knob which I purchased from a company in USA called Function First they hand produce gear knobs, they are rather expensive but awesome design and quality. The 986 gear knob has a flat tapered top that stops you buying some of the cheaper ones on ebay. I don’t think the 987 has the same style tapered end.

I did have a look at the ICT ones but I'm not that keen on them, look very generic VAG group 

I was hoping to get something similar to what is found in Civic Type R , it's like an aluminium ball. Rennline do one but it comes without the gear pattern. 

These looks similar to the one on the 2.7 which came from factory , I think it was part of some option pack that car came with, however the 3.2 doesn't have it.

5 hours ago, naim22 said:

@the baron do you have any more details or photos please? 

I go over to the USA fairly often, so this might be an option for me. The alternative porsche ones are all astronomical in price!

Here’s the link, I got the aluminium silver with red writing 5 speed version, I used the existing gator, it feels and looks incredible

8 minutes ago, the baron said:

Here’s the link, I got the aluminium silver with red writing 5 speed version, I used the existing gator, it feels and looks incredible

Sorry forgot to attach

http://www.function-first.com/products/interior/classic-shift-knob

On 2/3/2020 at 5:24 PM, naim22 said:

I was hoping to get something similar to what is found in Civic Type R , it's like an aluminium ball. Rennline do one but it comes without the gear pattern. 

I had one of those in my Integra DC2 Type R.  It was a lovely thing to use. Titanium I believe. You can pick them up for £50 on Ebay. No idea if you could fit one but they are very nice.

Archived