Tyres again....Goodyear or Michelin?

Flyferrari

Hi guys.

Before I got a build slot for my BGTS, I test drove another BGTS which was loaded with most of the options that I wanted including X73 suspension. I was delighted with how much more steering feel I got compared to all the other cars I'd test driven with PASM suspension. However, in addition to the X73, it had a myriad of other chassis options and, not knowing which of the options generated this more connected feel, when I finally got a build slot I ticked the lot!  On delivery day, whilst in every other way I was delighted with my car, the steering enhancement was absent. Years later I chatted to the subsequent owner of that BGTS that I test drove and found out that it had Goodyear F1s on it. I've always wondered since then if that was the missing "factor".

The other day I got a screw straight through the middle of my nearside rear Pirelli P-Zero N0 tyre tread. Its got 3-4mm left on it and, whilst I'm sure it's repairable, I really want to get away from the Pirellis. It's probably not worth fixing anyway for the life left in it. Fortunately, last year I sourced another set of Carrera IIIs from eBay (fitted with well used GY F1s). Having just totalled two wheels/tyres at the time on my Mini in one of the numerous potholes in this country, I didn't want to have to rapidly source Porsche 20" wheels should the same happen to the 981. It was costly enough on the Mini!! I haven't mounted them before due to colour (the eBay wheels are black with the machined rim rather than my Anthracite), lack of TP sensors and (lets be honest!) laziness.

Now these wheels are finally mounted I'm still not experiencing the improvement in steering feel I'm hankering after. However, as I noted earlier, they are not new tires and have clearly been run overinflated at some point (middle tread markedly less than outer tread depth). They are however much quieter, with less Ackerman juddering on lock, but also slightly less precise.

Having ruled out getting more Pirellis, I have a choice of new GY F1s or the newer Michelin PS4S. Has anyone on here gone from the Goodyears to the Michelins? If so, what were your thoughts on noise, ride and, most importantly, steering feel with the Michelins Vs Goodyears. I accept that the Michelins are more expensive but that will not be the deciding factor. Also how much would be condidered a good price for 4 tyres, delivered? I get my tyres fitted by a keen youngster at my local ATS, as he's really careful, and then fit them to the car myself. I'm not letting anyone but me and Porsche near my PCCBs!

Thanks for reading my essay and any help in the decision making process.

Kevin

I went from PZERO (NO) at the front to PS4S.  It depends a bit how you define ‘feel’  I think the 4S are a bit more progressive as they lose grip, and in particular maintain better grip in cold/wet conditions. But the much maligned PZERO is the more direct/ dynamic choice especially in warm dry conditions and can feel more ‘sporty’ in these circumstances IMO.

Thanks Greenman.......that's exactly the sort of feedback I'm after. My BGTS is a daily so perhaps the MP4S benefits ove the P-zero might be worth having. I'll be honest, I'd ruled out more P-Zeros because they get so much bad press and I felt that my "lack of steering feel" might be another negative aspect. I've never found them bad in the way some report but then mine have never suffered the splitting treads either. At the end of the day I have never pretended to be a "set of hands" so would have no idea what happens on the limit. If I got to that stage it would mean I'd f*****d up! Choices, choices!

In 18yrs. of Boxster ownership, Ive always had P zeros. Ive always found them to be very good despite some negative press comments. 

I have N0 p zeros on the front and changed the rears for N0 PS4S, the Michelins are certainly better when cold and on wet days, they are soft and squishy in comparison to the P zeros and that felt odd at first, GY eagles are also quite soft in the sidewall.

I'll replace the fronts with PS4S too so they match this year.

I think the N1 p zeros are better than the N0 but in all honesty I think the p zeros are a good match for the car in the summer months, they grip really well.

The OEM P Zeros on my 2014 BGTS were shocking when I bought the car in that they were hard and cracked.  These were replaced with the N0's all round and I have found these to be good generally.

The 981 pushes the front quite badly I find on track and really holds back progress, but I think that's a geo thing rather than rubber as I keep my pressures aligned to 33psi when warm.

I'd like to try the Michelins as they get a better write up generally, so will investigate after I've killed my P0's end of this month.

Archived