New (to me) 981 cabin squeak...

Rob™

After months of deliberation I’ve changed the 987 for a 981. Whilst the car drives really well, I’m getting a fair amount of squeaking in the cabin (I blame the roads!). Now, I know this may be a difficult question, but where are the main places to look for a squeak in a 981? I’m afraid I can’t tell you where exactly they’re coming from as I’m partially deaf and have no sense of sound direction... could be anywhere - it’s just really annoying 🥺

I’ve wound the drivers window down (the squeak In my 987 was glass on rubber until Pfledged it), not there..

Any help would be much appreciated!!

41 minutes ago, EVO Chris said:

What do you think of the 981 from the 987? I have a 2010 987.2 and not sure its a big enough gap for me to change just yet? 

Still early days, but the interior is much more modern and a nicer place to be (squeaks aside). I had CarPlay in the 987 so the PCM functionality seems a bit backwards, but now have Bose so sound much better. Will be looking into the options here...

in terms of the drive, manual to pdk, so not a direct comparison, but much smoother and a little less raucous- still sings better than the 718 though. The 987 did feel more “connected” though, more feedback from the roads.

I’ll miss some things, not others... and as I get more miles under my belt I may change my mind.

I prefer the 981 over the 718 - the newer car is undeniably quick and a great drive, but there was just something missing... probably me being to cautious with the salesman in the passenger seat...

3 hours ago, Rob™ said:

Still early days, but the interior is much more modern and a nicer place to be (squeaks aside). I had CarPlay in the 987 so the PCM functionality seems a bit backwards, but now have Bose so sound much better. Will be looking into the options here...

in terms of the drive, manual to pdk, so not a direct comparison, but much smoother and a little less raucous- still sings better than the 718 though. The 987 did feel more “connected” though, more feedback from the roads.

I’ll miss some things, not others... and as I get more miles under my belt I may change my mind.

I found that as you get used to the 981 you start to feel more, I felt more isolated at the very beginning but slowly realised that the same feelings come a little bit later on.  

On 3/9/2020 at 8:24 AM, RickLS7 said:

Normal culprit is the battery cover in the frunk

Doesn't appear to be. this - assuming you mean the full width cover... went for a little drive with it off completely and there's still squeaking. I will put some pads on though, I can see what you mean re the deterioration.

Any other ideas? Anyone?

There was a bulletin released for fuel tank squeak and how to fix it, could be that.  You could try removing the wind deflector, changing the seat positions, putting the roof down etc. to narrow it down.

Otherwise you need someone with better ears in the car to localise it.

I had multiple creaks on my 981 including the fuel tank one. For me it was worst when the tank was almost empty.  RSJ Sportscars found it after I told them to have a look.  There is a TSB on it.  From what I read the dealers tear the car apart if is under warranty.  RSJ got new foam in there without  dismantling the front end.

My last set of creaks occurred when the front wheels were under different loads at low speed.  RSJ Sportscars could not find it.  Dick Lovett, Swindon found it in the front binnacle and put in some anti-creak pads.

9 hours ago, Dermot said:

RSJ got new foam in there without  dismantling the front end.

Can you remember the cost for this? 

Having read around on a few other fora it does sound like the right sort of noise - squeaky Styrofoam. I'll see how it progresses over rate coming week or two to make sure it is related to the state (full>empty) of the fuel tank before approaching my local indy.

My fuel tank was touching the bulkhead so the noise sounded more suspension/metallic creak rather than squeaky Styrofoam.  RSJ  Sportscars did it for free under their 3 months (no bills) warranty.  I must say they were great, no questions asked but I had to drop the car back.  They had the car back at least 3 times (door solenoid,  alarm modules). They also replaced anti roll bar bushes and top links to try and solve the creaks.  

Ok, if I put pressure on the steering wheel, the squeaking stops. This isn’t related to turning the wheel, although it is related to driving over bumps/uneven surfaces. I guess it’s vibration in the column somewhere rather than rotational.

any ideas? 

Hi rob, have you elec adjustment on steering wheel, I got cruise retrofitted at dealer last year and have a column shroud squeak since, dealer has looked at it several times without success . If I move the shells up and down once or twice it goes away for a bit. Will be removing shroud soon to check it out myself as it looks like the overlap on top to bottom shroud is not correct 

• 3 weeks later...

So, the steering column passes through the fuel tank - might explain why I didn't hear it with the tank empty and it goes if I grip the wheel... Will see what I can physically see in there (probably not a lot...) and have a word with my local indy. Probably will have to wait until we get the all clear through. Whilst I'd like to see it done, not sure if it classes as "essential". My indy is probably closed anyway.

Screenshot 2020-04-04 at 08.47.19.png

• 4 weeks later...

I >>THINK<< I've cured it. 

I believe it was rubbing where the steering column goes through the bulkhead hole in the footwell - I've tie-wrapped a small amount of felt padding around the column at the bottom of the hole and, with a very limited test drive when popping to the local Spar shop, it appears to have stopped. Of course, to be sure I need a bit more evidence taking it for a longer daily drive, but going down the lane it used to sound like I had a froot full of monkeys every time, now it's just the usual convertible creaks, which I can live with!

Not so sure what the fuel tank has to do with it, but hey ho.

Archived