Replacing front wheel bearing.

phazed

I have a sort of creak, clicking noise on full r/h lock from the near side only at very slow speed. Investigation on my ramp hasn't revealed anything and all looks sound. Car is a 2008 model.

I believe it is a wheel bearing going home. There is evidence that work has been done on that corner as there is an incorrect bolt and new parts fitted. 

I have a bearing being delivered tomorrow and want to crack on.

Any tips, hints, how to. I assume it's a hub off and press bearing out job.

This may not be the most helpful post of the day but are you sure it's a wheel bearing that's gone? A duff wheel bearing usually drones when moving, and drones more loudly when moving more quickly. 'Creak', 'click' and 'low speed' are not phrases usually associated with dead wheel bearing. 

However, to answer your question; I don't know what changing the front wheel bearing entails but I doubt it's hard. Rears on RWD cars tend to be much trickier than fronts. With luck you won't need to take the hub off as that may be quite a fight and will entail a realignment afterwards. 

Stay tuned - other people who actually know what they are talking about will be along soon, I'm sure .... 🥺

Thanks for that, most useful.

is it the bearing, well, I had a very similar experience when a bearing was going home on a Shogun?

thought I'd use the car today to induce a bit more wear possibly. Now not sure..............noise seems to have changed to more of a groaning noise. Need to investigate more tomorrow.

1 hour ago, phazed said:

Thanks for that, most useful.

is it the bearing, well, I had a very similar experience when a bearing was going home on a Shogun?

thought I'd use the car today to induce a bit more wear possibly. Now not sure..............noise seems to have changed to more of a groaning noise. Need to investigate more tomorrow.

In my experience a worn wheel bearing sounds like a rumble.

On 3/13/2020 at 7:47 PM, Toeside said:

From memory this set of videos will take you through a similar experience on the 987. Probably a few minor differences

That's a 996 turbo - i.e. 4WD. You can see the driveshafts in the video. 

I don't know enough about the cars to be sure but I'd have thought that the RWD 987 models would have a different front hub assembly. 

They certainly do @zcacogp  ...................... due to the fact there wasn't a model specific (I could find) on the net I offered this video help as an alternative.

Instead of having to remove the drive shaft (which act as the stub axle through the hub) you will have a bare stub/hub arrangement which is much simpler arrangment.

I thought  you seem to be an expert on wheel bearing matters .................... 😉

@Toeside - you flatter me! I'm an expert on little more than drinking beer and being wrong, and I'm not that good at either of those now you come to mention it! 

Didn't mean to decry the link you posted though. Thanks for popping it up here. I'm aware that the front of the 987 and the 997 are identical and if you look closely at the underneath of the 987 front end you can see the architecture to put a front gearbox and drive shafts in. I've never looked at the front of a 4x4 996 or 997 so it's interesting to see on the video how Porsche made it all happen! 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 6/2/2021 at 11:04 AM, nixster said:

Thread resurrection sorry....

Do you really have to pull the front suspension apart to change a front wheel bearing 😲

Not looking like a DIY job to me!

Just saw this yesterday! Looks like the Porsche workshop manual calls for the hub to be taken off and having watched the video, I can't help but think it would have been a lot easier.