How does the 986 compare to 987

Ricky850r

Hello all,

I've previously had a 2.7 manual 986. I’m now looking to buy a manual 987 this summer, most likely a 2.7. 

For the people that have driven both how does the 987 feel compared to a 986 ? Handling, sound, build quality etc ? 

I had a 986 3.2 2002 and now have 987 3.4 2009. It's the same but different! by that I mean it's a better all round but it also loses a bit in all that extra betterness. Like the difference between an 18 year and a 28 year old if that makes any kind of sense.

2 minutes ago, mavis.d said:

I had a 986 3.2 2002 and now have 987 3.4 2009. It's the same but different! by that I mean it's a better all round but it also loses a bit in all that extra betterness. Like the difference between an 18 year and a 28 year old if that makes any kind of sense.

Ha ha. I get what you mean. I liked the feel of the 986. Felt like a proper weekend toy. The 987 looks like a more grown up car. 

I've had a 986S 3.2 and now have a 987S 3.2.

My direct comparison is that they feel very similar to drive in size and style. The shifter on the 987 is slicker. The 987 cabin is more modern, spacious and refined with good digital display on the dials. The lack of spare wheel in the 987 is good for frunk space. You can also run 19' wheels on the 987 with better compatability, which looks great but does make for more expensive tyre replacements. All 987's come with a heated glass rear screen which is nice.

I would say the 987 is little more grown up and the nicer/better car. But depends on what you want out of the car. For a more raw driving experience, the 986 fits that bill better.

PS: My well sorted 987S is for sale at £10,995 if you're looking?

11 minutes ago, Jason986S said:

I've had a 986S 3.2 and now have a 987S 3.2.

My direct comparison is that they feel very similar to drive in size and style. The shifter on the 987 is slicker. The 9897 cabin is more modern, spacious and refined with good digital display on the dials. The lack of spare wheel in the 987 is good for frunk space. You can also run 19' wheels on the 987 with better comparability, which looks great but does make for more expensive tyre replacements. All 987's come with a heated glass rear screen which is nice.

I would say the 987 is little more grown up and the nicer/better car. But depends on what you want out of the car. For a more raw driving experience, the 986 fits that bill better.

PS: My well sorted 987S is for sale at £10,995 if you're looking?

Hello,

Thanks for the advice. A 987 sounds like what I’m looking for. The 986 always felt a bit dated inside. A newer interior would be perfect. 
Your car looks brilliant in the ad. I’m not quite ready to buy yet. Best of luck with the sale ! 

6 hours ago, Ricky850r said:

Hello all,

I've previously had a 2.7 manual 986. I’m now looking to buy a manual 987 this summer, most likely a 2.7. 

For the people that have driven both how does the 987 feel compared to a 986 ? Handling, sound, build quality etc ? 

pretty similar - newer fixtures and fittings in the cabin, maybe a little more leg room in the 987, otherwise not a whole lot different mechanically/performance/drive wise.

Archived