Centre consul delete

the baron

Does anyone have a 986 with a centre consul delete fitted that I could maybe come over and sit in, before I purchase to see how much extra leg room it gives me, obviously not now, but in a few months time?

thanks

Have had one for a good while now and love the extra space for my left knee. 

You probably don’t need to try one installed - just remove the existing cubby/console and see how that feels. There’s some stuff behind the cubby that stays in place (think it’s the airbag/seatbelt ECU) but you’ll still get a good idea of the space it creates. 

You’ll lose the option to add a Double Din to the dashboard as there’s no OE option to hang the HVAC unit below the dashboard with the cubby/console removed. 

1 hour ago, map said:

Have had one for a good while now and love the extra space for my left knee. 

You probably don’t need to try one installed - just remove the existing cubby/console and see how that feels. There’s some stuff behind the cubby that stays in place (think it’s the airbag/seatbelt ECU) but you’ll still get a good idea of the space it creates. 

You’ll lose the option to add a Double Din to the dashboard as there’s no OE option to hang the HVAC unit below the dashboard with the cubby/console removed. 

My car doesn’t have air con, and runs a double din original Becker Indianapolis pro radio so wouldn’t be an issue, good idea about just removing to get an idea first

2 hours ago, the baron said:

My car doesn’t have air con, and runs a double din original Becker Indianapolis pro radio so wouldn’t be an issue, good idea about just removing to get an idea first

Where are your heater controls? 

The console delete really does make the cabin more roomy. I am 6ft tall and on long journeys my left leg always felt slightly uncomfortable. With the console delete kit installed its fine. The added bonus is it makes the car look so much cooler 👍

On 4/18/2020 at 12:20 PM, the baron said:

On 4/18/2020 at 3:00 PM, Boxob said:

Where are your heater controls? 

On 4/18/2020 at 3:21 PM, the baron said:

Above the radio

@the baron am sure I’m not the only one that would like to see a photo of this configuration - it would help me fix a niggle in my own dash setup. 

2 hours ago, map said:

@the baron am sure I’m not the only one that would like to see a photo of this configuration - it would help me fix a niggle in my own dash setup. 

Sorry I meant to say single din not double 😬

1 hour ago, the baron said:

Sorry I meant to say single din not double 😬

Fair enough - had hoped that you’d found a smart way to accommodate a Double Din and HVAC unit in the dash. 

Oh well sticking to my gangsta zip ties holding the HVAC in place for the foreseeable. 

3 hours ago, map said:

Fair enough - had hoped that you’d found a smart way to accommodate a Double Din and HVAC unit in the dash. 

Oh well sticking to my gangsta zip ties holding the HVAC in place for the foreseeable. 

Sorry, hate it when that happens.

100% this mod will give you a much better driving position. I am 6’1 and did this last year, makes a huge difference and as others have said gives the car the minimalist look it had when it was created (if I remember on early cars the lower centre console was an option).

Best place to get the kit is OPC, approx £135 for the carpet bit and the little plastic cover, though some breakers do also have them occasionally.

356BD984-0A92-4062-8F0F-E096B150BFE6.jpeg

4 hours ago, mazza said:

(if I remember on early cars the lower centre console was an option).

Almost correctly remembered. It was a no cost delete option.

4 hours ago, mazza said:

100% this mod will give you a much better driving position. I am 6’1 and did this last year, makes a huge difference and as others have said gives the car the minimalist look it had when it was created (if I remember on early cars the lower centre console was an option).

Best place to get the kit is OPC, approx £135 for the carpet bit and the little plastic cover, though some breakers do also have them occasionally.

What OPC is that please? I was quote about £230 earlier this year. 

10 hours ago, TV8 said:

What OPC is that please? I was quote about £230 earlier this year. 

West London, but that was just for the parts and included 10% discount for PCGB membership... perhaps they were including fitting?

1 hour ago, mazza said:

West London, but that was just for the parts and included 10% discount for PCGB membership... perhaps they were including fitting?

That’s good. My local one didn’t know the part number and came back the same as design911 https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod132426/Porsche-986-Boxster-Centre-Console-Switch-Cover-98655211302A10/

that is £200 excluding the plastic cover with the VAT. I would buy one at £135 for all bits. Will try a couple of others when the lockdown is over. 

Am sure you're all aware of this but...... remember that the part codes being quoted above include the interior trim colour.  

From memory the trim colour ref is the last 3 characters - so in the link above it is A10.  I have a Metropol Blue interior and had to make sure that was the colour I got.

50 minutes ago, TV8 said:

That’s good. My local one didn’t know the part number and came back the same as design911 https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod132426/Porsche-986-Boxster-Centre-Console-Switch-Cover-98655211302A10/

that is £200 excluding the plastic cover with the VAT. I would buy one at £135 for all bits. Will try a couple of others when the lockdown is over. 

If you find a centre that does it for that let me know as I will definitely be purchasing too even if I have to pay the higher amount

Interestingly it states on the Design911 website link you posted:

Side panels also required. Part numbers: 98655251302 Left / 98655251402 Right

8 minutes ago, map said:

Am sure you're all aware of this but...... remember that the part codes being quoted above include the interior trim colour.  

From memory the trim colour ref is the last 3 characters - so in the link above it is A10.  I have a Metropol Blue interior and had to make sure that was the colour I got.

Good point as I have the Boxster Red carpet set.

Archived