Shiny new bits any advice on how to?

the baron

So I found a bit of a bargain on eBay, two chrome grab handles and two chrome handles, I think the grab handles will be straight forward but any advice on the pull handles to open door or is it just a straight swap? I presume there will be springs etc that will need attaching, so any advice in advance would help.

lKHuIgd.jpg

I've done this and it's pretty straightforward. Once you've removed the door card you have to disconnect the linkage cable which is attached to the handle - I don't recall there being any other springs but it was some time ago. Just be mindful that the cable is still attached when you pull the doorcard away from the door. I'm certain there's a YouTube video on it somewhere.

Good find on the eBay bits, it definitely lifts the whole interior with a splash of silver rather than black.

9 hours ago, GmanB said:

Put the leather/plastic ones back in for the winter, can't stand the cold from the metal in the winter!

Both parts are made of the same material for the black and the silver versions so wont make a difference.

On 4/27/2020 at 8:58 AM, the baron said:

Before and after shots, it was any easy swap and in all took around 30mins each door

CpLXfUB.jpg

cGFLpQ6.jpg

Do you have any advice on removing the grab handles?

The door pull looks straight forward enough (couple of screws at the back of the door card), but the handle seems to be firmly held in place at the end towards the rear of the door. 

Want to get mine resprayed.

9 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Do you have any advice on removing the grab handles?

The door pull looks straight forward enough (couple of screws at the back of the door card), but the handle seems to be firmly held in place at the end towards the rear of the door. 

Want to get mine resprayed.

The grab handles are much easier to remove then the door pulls and they were easy but you have to remove the door cards, you don't for the grab handles.

Remove the black plastic cover by the door pulls, there is a hex bolt that needs to be removed, then clip off the c clip that sits on the grab handles where the leather meets the plastic just after the door pocket lid, under that is another hex bolt, once you've removed these give the grab handles a good pull toward the front of the door as there are two locating tabs and it should slide right out.(If you look at my first picture you can see the plastic tabs on bottom left that locate it back into the pocket)

Thanks for that @the baron, it's now off - was unsure if there were locating tabs, or a screw / bolt I had missed.

Whilst we're here, how about the pull handle - apart from the screws on the back of the door card, are there any tricks / techniques?

15 minutes ago, K.I.T.T. said:

Thanks for that @the baron, it's now off - was unsure if there were locating tabs, or a screw / bolt I had missed.

Whilst we're here, how about the pull handle - apart from the screws on the back of the door card, are there any tricks / techniques?

No its all fairly straight forward, un-attach the big spring and remove the 6 (I think) screws and it comes out, if your respraying these too, then there is a simple spring clip that enables you to remove these from the plastic surround

Archived