987 Cayman Rusty tailgate video

Glosrich

Found surface rust on the tailgate of my 2009 Cayman.

I guess the paint has been rubber off by opening/closing the hatch, and maybe a bit of movement when the car is driven. I cant see any signs its been painted, as the mounting bolts all look covered in factory paint. The rubber seal, which I guess is there to stop wind noise at speed, is a tight fit, so that rubs the edge also.

Wow! Really surprised to see that. Worryingly it looks like it’s in the seam too... Don’t suppose it’s had a boot lid skin at any time? Do they even re-skin panels any more or just put a whole new panel in place for any damage?

Really tricky one to sort as well - access a bit tight there...

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/23/2020 at 4:11 PM, 89rallye said:

is there not a 12 year anti corrosion  warranty

Only think an OPC will be interested if you have full Porsche SH, which it doesnt, for the last 3 years.

No sign of the securing bolts being messed with the paint on them looks factory, but I guess it could have had a tailgate at some point.

as long as the history is with a vat registered garage and is up to date with no previous repairs it doesn't have to be main dealer, i would enquire, my wifes daily a 11 year old 325d m sport touring was starting to bubble round the tailgate , no problem brought straight and repaired

Having worked in a car manufacturers warranty department in a previous life (graduate scheme at a well known Japanese manufacturer - bloody awful and put me off for life), I think you would be hard pressed getting this covered under the anti-perforation warranty. They will tell you that this is due to an external influence - most likely a badly fitting tailgate - and is not covered under the terms of their "inside-out" corrosion warranty. In theory they may argue that had it had it's annual body checks at an OPC, the tech would have noticed the tailgate fit/misplaced seal (whatever) and have fixed it.

It's kind of a BS excuse but you would be surprised what some customers want to be covered under warranty (stone chips, accident damage etc). I remember one famous prat trying to get us to cover the cost of his body repairs after (he claimed) a defective wheel broke at 70mph. Obviously this was quite a serious case and so we had to involve the crash investigators and police. It quickly became apparent that he had actually been racing an MR2 on public roads (at speeds in excess of 120mph according to witnesses), hit a kerb, and smashed the wheel. Needless to say that the warranty didn't cover it but the police did charge him with dangerous driving

Cheers for the comments guys. I've diy fixed it for now, but if it comes back, I'll get the tailgate off and get a body shop to do it.

I only use it during the summer, so I doubt it will happen as severely as it had over the last 10 years, with salt around also.

Archived