Off to see Lee

Apollo000

For those who came along to the...

You may remember me mentioning the slight brake judder I had - this certainly kept me focussed trying to get to a suitable speed before the spirited cornering on many occasions! I have booked in to see Lee at Cotswold next Wednesday foe some investigative/rectification work. Fingers crossed its something as simple as disc replacement but it's in good hands. -if anyone else is up there let me know - he said the cafe is now open!

I had brake judder after I had fitted new discs myself (Eurocarparts Pagid) turned out to be warped discs so got Lee to put better quality disc and it sorted the problem.

Eurocarparts refused to acknowledge responsibility and said it was down to my driving 😂 They are joke, steer clear of Pagid discs, they are now owned by ECP and are produced cheaply, they used to be good quality.

I know people will think that I'm mad, but many years ago, I had  chronic brake pedal judder on an old Hillman Avenger that I just couldn't sort out.

The front discs all looked true when a steel rule was placed across them, and locking off the pipe to the rear drum brakes made no difference.

At the time, my brother was a mechanic at a Honda main dealership and he couldn't find any issues either,  but the problem was cured by changing the wheels and tyres back to the original ones that came with the car, and the brake judder magically disappeared.

To this day, nobody believes me and I can't really understand why it should happen, but it was proven again when a Honad Acty Van was brought into the Honda garage with chronic brake judder that defied logic. Noticing that the wheels and tyres had been changed to wider alloys to "bling it up a bit", my brother remembered my story and suggested that they go back to the original wheels and tyres and try that.

After the mickey taking had died down and they'd despaired at ever curing the problem, the mechanic on the job decided he'd try changing the wheels and tyres back and sure enough, the pedal judder completely disappeared.

To this day, I have no idea why this is the case, but if all else fails .........

I just changed my front discs and pads for Febi Bilstein ones and all good so far, with better feel from the pedal.  

2 hours ago, the baron said:

I had brake judder after I had fitted new discs myself (Eurocarparts Pagid) turned out to be warped discs so got Lee to put better quality disc and it sorted the problem.

Eurocarparts refused to acknowledge responsibility and said it was down to my driving 😂 They are joke, steer clear of Pagid discs, they are now owned by ECP and are produced cheaply, they used to be good quality.

Yup no idea what they are but Lee did mention Pagid......

4 hours ago, CRC said:

I know people will think that I'm mad, but many years ago, I had  chronic brake pedal judder on an old Hillman Avenger that I just couldn't sort out.

The front discs all looked true when a steel rule was placed across them, and locking off the pipe to the rear drum brakes made no difference.

At the time, my brother was a mechanic at a Honda main dealership and he couldn't find any issues either,  but the problem was cured by changing the wheels and tyres back to the original ones that came with the car, and the brake judder magically disappeared.

To this day, nobody believes me and I can't really understand why it should happen, but it was proven again when a Honad Acty Van was brought into the Honda garage with chronic brake judder that defied logic. Noticing that the wheels and tyres had been changed to wider alloys to "bling it up a bit", my brother remembered my story and suggested that they go back to the original wheels and tyres and try that.

After the mickey taking had died down and they'd despaired at ever curing the problem, the mechanic on the job decided he'd try changing the wheels and tyres back and sure enough, the pedal judder completely disappeared.

To this day, I have no idea why this is the case, but if all else fails .........

I just changed my front discs and pads for Febi Bilstein ones and all good so far, with better feel from the pedal.  

I'd need to do some proper research on this but is could be that the centre of the contact patch on the tyres has moved further away from the virtual king pin/castor point at the road surface and causes an oscillation to build up under braking due to different offset wheels and may be exacerbated if there is any change in toe angle with suspension compression giving more toe out.  Vehicle dynamics can get damned complicated and small changes can sometimes have very unwelcome consequences.

Archived