Exhaust Bolts

Rooose

I am going to be sorting the cat to manifold bolts fairly soon but on inspection, I also noticed that the bolts/nuts on the rear connector sleeve and tail pipe clamps looks pretty corroded.

Has anyone changed these out yet? I am wondering if just replacing the nuts before its too late is the way to go or if replacing the sleeve and clamps in their entirety would be more sensible. I know this would involve splitting the exhaust but just not sure if its worth the trouble.

Would.appreciate some advice from anyone who has some experience of or has tackled this. 

Thanks

Thanks RickLS7. Yes, the cat flange bolts are definitely required - thanks for the reference to that post - very useful.

The other bolts I am talking about are near the back of the car - these are on the sleeve that connect the 2 sides of the top exhaust exits from the back box and also the 2 clamps that secure/seal the tip t-piece. I just wondered if anyone has replaced these as a preventative measure (I don't think the bolts can just be remove as they are interference fit) or just replaced the bolts etc?

I replaced all of them in one go when mine failed an MOT on an exhaust leak. You only need to remove the U pipes which is quite straight forward. When I removed my sleeve, it was quite badly corroded. You can buy a new sleeve connector for about a £10 on eBay. 45mm internal diameter and about 80mm long. The clamps onto the rear box need to be about 49-51mm from memory as the U bend fits inside the pipe at the back box inlet.

Thanks Nobbie, I am tempted to do the lot but it looks quite involved on the 981 - I am also getting conflicting info about the size of the sleeve and clamps for the PSE - it seems to be different to the standard exhaust but I can't be sure.

I used some mikalor clamps on the 987 and was very pleased with those, so may be tempted to do the same here but I am not sure it is really necessary on a 5 year old car - but the nuts already look like they are 15 years old!

7 minutes ago, Rooose said:

Thanks Nobbie, I am tempted to do the lot but it looks quite involved on the 981 - I am also getting conflicting info about the size of the sleeve and clamps for the PSE - it seems to be different to the standard exhaust but I can't be sure.

I used some mikalor clamps on the 987 and was very pleased with those, so may be tempted to do the same here but I am not sure it is really necessary on a 5 year old car - but the nuts already look like they are 15 years old!

Sorry, I was on autopilot and was referring to a 986. I have no idea what the exhaust sizes and clamps are like on a 981. I used the Mikalor ones as well and they’re great value.

Just had a look at the 981 system, given it’s 5 years old, I think I would just replace the nuts and bolts. The sleeve on mine had disintegrated, but it was 20 years old!

I had a PSE installed when the car was 18 months old.  Even then the garage had to cut off the flange bolts holding the rear sections to the cat section, so just because you car is only 5 years don’t assume they won’t need cutting off.  I found the wider sleeve and clamps at the rear were in somewhat better shape and they came off fine. However if you want to separate the rear sections to remove/replace the sleeve clamp you might have to loosen one (or both) of the cat to rear flange connections to give you enough play (then see above). If you do remove the cat to rear connections you will likely need a new metal gasket here (not expensive £4 ish) 

9 minutes ago, RickLS7 said:

Have a look at this, the bolts aren't listed separately on the tailpipe:

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/porsche/boxster-981-2012/all-pages/exhaust-system-276562

Thanks - they are clearly part of the tips. I assume it is like the 987, in that they are spot welded to the t-piece.

I think that makes my mind up - I will treat the bolts as best I can and replace the nuts while I can still take them off. They are by no means shot - I just thought it may be worth replacing but it's clearly not a simple undo and replace job!

Now, onto the flange bolts - wish me luck!

Archived