Cheap Boxster £1650

the baron

That’s the one I mentioned in the ‘under £3500’ thread.

Its literally 15 minutes from me.  I rang about the car, the guy that has it for sale deals in a lot of ex-govt vehicles.  They’ve had a hard life!!  

He told me he bought the boxster over a year ago to fix as the engine is ‘knocking’.  As it may have been something like a lifter or water-pump, I thought I’d go check it out.  At the price, it warranted further investigation.  

I have been to the yard but saw no-one around, so never heard the car running.  I didn’t really need to.  It’s been lying on a mud lane for over a year.  
Both bumpers are damaged, most of the paint is destroyed, rear wheel arch has split with corrosion, lots the interior is missing, the drivers seat is burst on both sides, there is grass growing out of the dashboard from damp, it needs 4 tyres due to cracking, the brake discs are like weetabix & that’s before you start into the engine.  

It’s a big project, & possibly not even worth the £1650 starting point.  Although, it was MOT’d as recently as 18 months back.

Its never a restoration car, but it could be a cheap base for a really fun motorsports themed conversion or similar 

23 minutes ago, JonSta said:

I hate people who post pictures of how the car once looked as opposed to how it looks now. The time and fuel I've wasted...

I totally agree with you, flaming time wasting Bas*ards totally economical with the truth.

47 minutes ago, JonSta said:

Time you've fixed all that you could've bought yourself a darned nice car for the money. I hate people who post pictures of how the car once looked as opposed to how it looks now. The time and fuel I've wasted....

Seller will be lucky to give it away.

So the pics in the ad are not how the car looks now, surely that's mis representation.

I looked at one on autotrader and in the pictures it looked like new. Drove 100 miles to see it and while it wasnt a dog it just looked like it had sat outside for 5 years and never been used, damp inside, flat ish tyres, mould on the hood and round the windows, finish flaking off the rims, rusty discs etc. When I told the guy I didn't even want him to bother unlocking it he got quite narky with me like he'd driven 100 miles to see it. Told me 'at least it hadn't been tarted up to sell...' And that it was 'my loss'. Yeah right. You can't be bothered to keep it clean what else can't you be bothered to do.

I were buying a cheap van or a banger fair enough but a Porsche? He'd obviously used the pictures from when he bought it 5 years previously. Thanks mate.

17 hours ago, KevM79 said:

I have been to the yard but saw no-one around, so never heard the car running.  I didn’t really need to.  It’s been lying on a mud lane for over a year.  
Both bumpers are damaged, most of the paint is destroyed, rear wheel arch has split with corrosion, lots the interior is missing, the drivers seat is burst on both sides, there is grass growing out of the dashboard from damp, it needs 4 tyres due to cracking, the brake discs are like weetabix & that’s before you start into the engine.  

It’s a big project, & possibly not even worth the £1650 starting point.  

Too good to be true.

Poor neglected boxster.

On 7/22/2020 at 9:17 AM, JonSta said:

Time you've fixed all that you could've bought yourself a darned nice car for the money. I hate people who post pictures of how the car once looked as opposed to how it looks now. The time and fuel I've wasted....

Seller will be lucky to give it away.

That’s exactly what I did!  Without even doubling my budget, I got a cracker in comparison.  Well presented, FSH, MOT’d and turn-key, good to go.

To be fair, I’d say the picture is legit.  If you look closely, it seems he’s run a hose over the car and pictured it while wet.

Here is an image from another ad he had posted last year:-

PqNY05z.jpg

Its worth a punt at £500

Id say it'll start.   

My guess would be a collapsed lifter, failed water-pump, or either a manifold or plug loose.  (or a spun bearing and scrap engine!!) lol

I am actually really curious to hear the engine, but having talked to the guy I bought mine off, who knows the owner reasonably well, I dont think its worth investigating.  He has money, so it'll be a "£1650 - take-it-or-leave-it" scenario, so i'll leave it.  He can afford to literally let it rot into the yard.

Archived