Friends 2.5 986 Airbag light

Remodot

One of my friends has a lovely 1998 2.5 Boxster. It is due an mot soon, however the Airbag light has come on. I tried to reset it with my Autel code reader but can’t reset it, I get a fault code 073. I can erase the fault and according to my reader it is clear, but light still on, running the feast again shows the fault again. Some research talks about child seat, but I’m not sure what this means. I bought the Autel unit to reset my service light (2006 987) and Airbag light after I replaced my seatbelts, yes I forgot to disconnect the battery!! It worked well on my car. Anyway, anyone any idea what could be wrong? His carpet under  the passenger seat was wet, we found a blocked hole which I cleared. If it was the water getting into the ECU wouldn’t there be more errors or faults showing?

Can't help with airbag light save to say I thought they had to be reset by OPC or by someone with th he right kit.

The electrics under the passenger seat are the Alarm Control Unit (not ECU). This includes the cars immobiliser. If the ACU is wet then it can throw up all sorts of electrical issues but you'd notice them without a code reader. The ACU needs to be checked and dried if wet.

Archived