Corner pieces condensation, holes better or worse?

SuperPaulie

anyone ever drilled holes in the "corner pieces" of the headlights? i know they are meant to be sealed units, but condensation gets in and stays in for years, would drilling holes make the problem better or worse? any thoughts guys?

Just now, Sanky said:

wouldn't you be better, just drying them out inside the house.  Then use a some silicone sealant around the edge on the back of it to make it water tight.

tried that Sanky, and its kinda worked 😋

Was more out of interest from a technical perspective really.

I replaced mine when one of the clear bits separated from the silver/grey back bit. Looking at them you can unclip the unit and could easily drill a small hole into the backing. I was contemplating using them to fit very small diy DRL's........

If it's condensating that suggests the two parts are starting to part ways so nothing to lose in drilling the backing.

11 hours ago, Shazbot said:

I replaced mine when one of the clear bits separated from the silver/grey back bit. Looking at them you can unclip the unit and could easily drill a small hole into the backing. I was contemplating using them to fit very small diy DRL's........

not a bad idea that, its always bugged me that these corner bits do sod all on my 2.7, serve absolutely no purpose and cost like £50 each (i upgraded from amber, and also had another one break). Have you seen it done before, any pics?

I had condensation inside mine, so I took them off gave them a clean and softly sanded down the edges on the inside where it seals against the rest of the unit. Gave it another wash and left them over night to dry, polished and refitted. I've not had any condensation since. I expect buying some new ones would have a similar affect, but they're fairly pricey as you say. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/24/2020 at 10:39 PM, Shazbot said:

Looking at them you can unclip the unit and could easily drill a small hole into the backing. I was contemplating using them to fit very small diy DRL's........

I was looking at the fog light/DRL thing but then I remembered this. Did you ever give it a go, or any pictures of anyone having done it? I'm tempted.

Hi

I converted my fog lamps to DRL's. H7 LED's (55w equiv no fans so standard size) and then a relay wired into the light switch so they go on with the ignition and off with sidelights or dipped beam.

I think that is a better solution than using the corner pieces.

Berni

Archived