LED Side Light Bulbs

beaks

Fitted a pair of the above to my 987.

Pretty happy with the look, goes well with my dipped (and main) beam bulbs that I've also upgraded to LED.

A08961-ED-6-C0-F-4-FF2-BA14-5-DFE1144031

No errors at all, which obviously is nice.

Only issue was getting the rusty screws out - patience and the right screwdriver bit very much needed!

These were the jokers I bought - a bag of ten for six and half queen's quids - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XZ2BQHD.

I'm thinking of whacking a couple in the door / puddle lights but that's a job for another time.

Cheers,

Ian B

39 minutes ago, droptop said:

They look like a perfect match. Did you get any error codes with these?

None at all - only issue is I'd fitted one wrong (always 50/50 with this kind of LED!) but fortunately I had the common sense to check them before refitting the lamp unit!

Cheers,

Ian B

16 hours ago, beaks said:

Fitted a pair of the above to my 987.

Pretty happy with the look, goes well with my dipped (and main) beam bulbs that I've also upgraded to LED.

A08961-ED-6-C0-F-4-FF2-BA14-5-DFE1144031

No errors at all, which obviously is nice.

Only issue was getting the rusty screws out - patience and the right screwdriver bit very much needed!

These were the jokers I bought - a bag of ten for six and half queen's quids - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XZ2BQHD.

I'm thinking of whacking a couple in the door / puddle lights but that's a job for another time.

Cheers,

Ian B

Look good I’ve done my dipped beam need to do high/main which LED did you use. Thanks in advance 

Handy timing, 1 of my led side light bulbs has blown so need a new one (or pair for balance).

I ordered the H7 leds on Ian’s recommendation 👍. Much better than standard although I need to adjust my lights up slightly, 5mm long hex key sorted for this job. 

The H7 bulbs are well made and adjustable, so can turn to correct the beam pattern. 

13 minutes ago, Simon. said:

Handy timing, 1 of my led side light bulbs has blown so need a new one (or pair for balance).

I ordered the H7 leds on Ian’s recommendation 👍. Much better than standard although I need to adjust my lights up slightly, 5mm long hex key sorted for this job. 

The H7 bulbs are well made and adjustable, so can turn to correct the beam pattern. 

spot on. it baffles me how something that is, let's face it, cheap as chips, can be so well made and have such good performance!

hope you're keeping well bud.

6 minutes ago, droptop said:

@beaks Just fitted mine today and they look great!

Have you swapped your number plate lights with LED's? I'm thinking of doing those next so was going to buy from the same brand perhaps.

awesome. 

haven't done the plate lights - i've seen a good few people do this on other cars but I think they're 'over bright'  (for that application) if that makes any sense at all...

and despite being an old git now, the boy racer inside me is screaming to think i could actually do something to make my plate easier to read 😄

So after ordering some LED number plate lights from Amazon I managed to get some which are a fairly subtle white light. Definitely not boy racer blue and not too bright either. Definitely look more up to date than the standard bulbs.

The size is 36mm if anyone is interested: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07N5DJ6VJ/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/2/2020 at 8:31 PM, Simon. said:

Thanks to Ian from me too as just ordered them on Prime as I have a side light gone too.

Michael

1 hour ago, Greyanglia said:

Thanks to Ian from me too as just ordered them on Prime as I have a side light gone too.

Michael

happy days.

they also fit into the door / puddle lights quite nicely too 🙂

1 hour ago, Christopher2110 said:

986 much easier. No clever canbus so you can do as you please with bulbs

That sounds good. I presume then that the bulbs mentioned above will be ok? Do you know if there might be issues with MOT? I thought I’d read something a while ago - but that might have been a complete headlight replacement? 

That's great thanks @droptop. Just about to order one and wondered if they fit anywhere else on the car?

Btw, as a tip for anyone swapping the door/puddle lights, the Porsche manual says take a flat blade screwdriver to the door edge side of the fitting. I tried this and I paused just as something was about to snap and checked the trusty internet. Helpfully a vid shows coming at it from the interior side and hey presto out it popped first time.

Excuse my Ladybird Book of Porsche maintenance approach but that's about my level 😃

Archived