Outdoor Rain Cover (Half)

Greyanglia

Hi,

Now the weather has really turned cold and wet I could do with a half cover for my 987.1. I seem to remember a thread recommending the Classic Additions hoods as the best but I cannot find it.

Is this still the favoured option? I am using my Boxter almost daily so need it to be easy to remove. I never intended to use it this much when I bought it back in July but can't stop myself. 😏

Thanks,

Michael

Hiya,

I went for one of these in the end - https://cabrioshield.com/uk/porsche-boxster-2003-2012.html - went for the 'premium' option as I use it pretty much all the time as not even so much for the weather protection, but all year round as one of my own cats has a habit of sitting on the roof and shedding hairs all over it (plus I don't want it to get claws in to the actual roof lining).

Can't compare it to anything else as didn't try others, but will can say:

+ points - seems really well made, good fit, definitely keeps the water out well and like the fact that it kind of secures in place with thickened parts at the front & rear edges of the door that you have to shut / seal in to place (i.e. would stop someone easily pulling off, or it moving around / blowing in the wind much), pretty sure it covers over the areas where some or most of the drainage channels people get blocked with leaves so one less thing to worry about when the cover is in place, folds up to fit in boot / frunk.

- points - probably my fault for not being aware / not careful enough but it has embedded magnetic strips along the door which as you open the door to remove the thickened part to take it off, it inevitably makes it ride up a little and I think there must have been a bit of grit underneath it at some point as I have a fine vertical scratch there (now I make sure I hold that part up as I open the doors to remove), other than that I think I recall the instructions saying to add water treatment as you would to your soft top, but I don't intend adding any to my roof as I'm using the cover so maybe I will have to apply something to the cover at some point but is all good 6 months in. I guess it isn't exactly thin / light but I did want the premium option so I decided to go for a thicker one.

Hopefully that helps on at least one option -- Babaa

Hi Babaa,

Many thanks for the quick reply and a comprehensive review which seems spot on for what I want. I’ll get on and order one and I like the idea of it being colour coded so it’s navy blue for me!

Cheers,

Michael

I have a CabrioShield one - the basic one - and it's good. The fit is spot on.
Unlike the UK Custom Covers one i had for my MX5 - which fitted very poorly around the wing mirrors and faded to light grey within a few weeks.

1 hour ago, Greyanglia said:

Hi Babaa,

Many thanks for the quick reply and a comprehensive review which seems spot on for what I want. I’ll get on and order one and I like the idea of it being colour coded so it’s navy blue for me!

Cheers,

Michael

I have a Cabrio Shield premium in blue for my 986 which has a blue roof too (over Arctic Silver).  Wouldn't be without it as the car lives outside.  Protects from dust, birds, cats in summer and rain, snow, frost and leaves in winter.

Another vote for Cabrio Shield premium version.

The only slight niggle is shutting the door at the same time as making sure both front and rear "trap tags" are in the shuts at the same time. I often need a couple of tries before both are trapped.

Otherwise very firmly fixed down, and doesn't flap at all.

15 hours ago, Mudpup said:

I have a CabrioShield one - the basic one - and it's good. The fit is spot on.
Unlike the UK Custom Covers one i had for my MX5 - which fitted very poorly around the wing mirrors and faded to light grey within a few weeks.

Yes, I have the “black” Custom Cover which is gradually fading to a grey hue! In fact, the colour is leaching out and leaving a tide mark on my paint work! The fit is ok though and I wouldn’t be without it.

9 hours ago, Bferry70 said:

Yes, I have the “black” Custom Cover which is gradually fading to a grey hue! In fact, the colour is leaching out and leaving a tide mark on my paint work! The fit is ok though and I wouldn’t be without it.

Not much of a recommendation, other than the idea of having a half cover, if its leaving a tide mark on you paint... 🤔

Archived