Sticky hard to turn ignition

Shippers01

Hi all newbie here. I have 2001 boxter 986 S, and the ignition is starting to get hard to turn. Can anyone advise of any indy or other garages in portsmouth or southampton area that will be able to help. Guess i am looking at new ignition barrel? Many thanks.

Jason

I had this recently - I thought the whole lock was broken. turned out to be the ignition switch. That is a simple DIY swap and the switch is cheap. the hardest part is getting the grub screws out which you kinda have to do blind but its simple. 

Thanks for replies. If it is the switch then at least that will be cheaper!! The reason i thought it was barrel was because ir was getting hard to turn and when i took key out other day i had to wait till it clicked back so i could put key back in again??? If it is switch can someone tell where to get one and what part number i need?? Electrics scare me!!!

I had this problem too but on mine there was no warning ,I came to park up and the ignition switch would turn  but freely with no resistance , but it wouldn't turn off the ignition , so I had to stall the car but the ignition was still on , mines a 2004 3.2 , had it recovered to revolution at Leeds and sadly it was the whole unit on mine , but I think on the earlier cars as mentioned it's a cheap but fiddly fix , good luck with it 

My symptom was that the key suddenly turned far too much and straight after this, the electrics started doing some strange things unless I rotated the key back to it’s normal position.

I got this part # from EuroCarParts:

It was £15 after applying one of their discount codes.

My ignition just feels stiff when you turn the key not loose or turn to far just stiff. Kevs i will get part, is it a porsche part??? I believe i saw somewhere maybe vw part fits??? Think it was on here somewhere i saw few days ago before i joined forum?? Also is it a fairly easy job apart from being fiddly? Happy to have go!!

I had this and fitted the aftermarket part. Ever since the radio works intermittently unless this is coincidence. For the hassle it is to be a contortionist to get it out I wish I had paid a bit more for the original. I was thinking of changing it again due to the radio to rule it out but then I rarely use the radio so have not bothered. Just listen to the wonderful flat six😀

That must be annoying.  Mine has been perfect since I fitted it in Jan and I read up on it a fair bit beforehand and seemed a simple fix.  The Pedros garage how to mentions it’s an Audi part.

Hi all. So me and a mate changed the switch today,well he did!!! But still seems stiff to turn. So looks like it needs further investigation. Car starts o.k. but when you turn off and take out key, have wait for it to click or reset itself so can not lock car or use buttons on keyfob till barrel clicks?? Any ideas or if anyone can advise of an indy near portsmouth or Southampton areas.

Sounds like it’s the steering lock assembly. Bit of a more involved job. Great write up here. I have similar with the lock not always clicking when I remove the key. It’s a bit cold and wet to do it on the drive now🙁

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, my first post 😀 

This happened to my 986 today so I'll be getting the part tomorrow and I'm usually pretty good with tech stuff and have had many years experience with fiddly screws. I'll report back with any hints and tips after the job is done.

Archived