Led headlight bulbs

Kev73

The non xenon bulbs in my cayman are absolutely shocking, I've even upgraded to osram night breaker laser and tbh they're not much better either, so question is has anyone upgraded to LED bulbs, and what ones, I've seen a set from horizon led, not sure whether to buy them or not

Yep they are terrible, borderline dangerous in my opinion. I put a set of LED’s in my old 987.2 from Horizon, they worked fine until the ambient temperature dropped to around 0 degrees and then the nearside led would flicker for about ten minutes but apart from that they made a huge difference. I’ve got these in my motorbike with no issues at all,

Philips 11972ULWX2 Ultinon LED Car Headlight Bulbs H7 (Twin) 11342ULWX2, 6.200K, Set of 2 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07C5RMKFW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_fPkZFb05YCRH8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

In hindsight I would have fitted these to the car. 

2 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

Just incase you do go to Horizon these are the bulbs I used. 

https://www.horizonleds.co.uk/h7-philips-luxeon-led-headlight-v2?search=Philips

Are they good, any fitment issues as some H7 leads are too big, on other car manufacturers mind

The Horizon LED’s fitted fine, all inside the headlamp unit of the 987.2, I’m sure the 981 will be similar. Use cable ties to secure the drivers etc. The Philips LED’s have the driver attached to the base of the bulb so no separate driver unit. Personally from having used both I’d put the Philips ones in. 

I had no error codes using the horizon however as I stated when the ambient    temperature dropped to around zero the nearside flickered for about ten minutes. I’m using the Philips LED’s in my motorbike and have no issues with them however it’s only used during the warmer months. 

21 hours ago, Kev73 said:

Good lights, but you can buy identical ones from aliexpres/ebay etc for a fraction of what this Vendor is selling them for. 

I've probably got a new set here somewhere you can have for not a lot of money. 

Bear in mind they are passively cooled (no fans) so run very hot. 

Mine lasted around 18 months before some of the LED's burnt out. 

43 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

Good lights, but you can buy identical ones from aliexpres/ebay etc for a fraction of what this Vendor is selling them for. 

I've probably got a new set here somewhere you can have for not a lot of money. 

Bear in mind they are passively cooled (no fans) so run very hot. 

Mine lasted around 18 months before some of the LED's burnt out. 

what you after for them? are they philips ones?

3 minutes ago, Kev73 said:

what you after for them? are they philips ones?

They are identical to the ones that you posted in the link. 

Bear in mind these are not actually made by Phillips, and it's only the LED's that are, despite what some vendors would lead you to believe. 

The Ultinons as linked to above are Philips though, but the gen 2 will be better as has an extra LED. 

You can have them for 20 quid plus postage, but check they will actually fit as they are much longer then a standard H7 lamp. 

6 minutes ago, Kev73 said:

Any pics of them, can you check if they fit a 981

Look on the link I posted when I fitted them to my 986 for pics. 

Sorry, I haven't got a clue how much space there is in a 981 headlight, though they only just fit in the 986. 

4 hours ago, PaulQ said:

mmm , they seem cheap chinese stuff to me and indeed the shipping address is in china , not sure about those

6 hours ago, Kev73 said:

mmm , they seem cheap chinese stuff to me and indeed the shipping address is in china , not sure about those

Yes, they are cheap Chinese stuff. 

Buy the ones from Horizon if you like, but they are also cheap chinese stuff that costs £140

2 hours ago, PaulQ said:

Yes, they are cheap Chinese stuff. 

Buy the ones from Horizon if you like, but they are also cheap chinese stuff that costs £140

Thats the worry, so you'd recommend those novsight ones then

10 hours ago, Kev73 said:

Thats the worry, so you'd recommend those novsight ones then

Yes....with the caveat that I dont know how they will work in the 981.

Worse case scenario is you think they are a pile of poo, so have wasted 20 quid. 

I'm just giving you some options (hence the Ultinons link as well) and only posted initially because the lights you linked to ain't worth the money. 

Kev. Paul and I have recommended some LED’s for you  due to our experience with them. I tried ‘cheap chinese leds’ in my 987.2 and they threw up all kinds of canbus errors even using so called error removing drivers. As far as I’m aware Paul has an early 986 with reflector lenses and pre-canbus( I’m happy to be corrected) so the cheaper ones may work fine with that car. The 981 is a little more technologically advanced so the cheap ones may also throw up error codes, they may not however. What I would suggest is removing the headlamp from the car- this only takes 2 mins per side and open up the back of the unit to see how much room is in there(if it’s anything like the 987.2 there’s enough to place the LED’s and drivers) I personally wouldn’t put the cheap ones in a 981, if there’s enough room I would fit the more expensive Ultinons, if space is tight put the Horizon ones I recommend as the heat sinks are flexible and can be opened up flat. You drive an expensive car so why cheap out on bulbs. Your choice of course and you may get lucky with the cheap ones working fine but I know where I’d spend my money. 

Archived