Led headlight bulbs

Kev73

10 hours ago, bandit_287 said:

if space is tight put the Horizon ones I recommend as the heat sinks are flexible and can be opened up flat. You drive an expensive car so why cheap out on bulbs. Your choice of course and you may get lucky with the cheap ones working fine but I know where I’d spend my money. 

Ive got no axe to grind, as people need to make a living, but these are also cheap chinese lights being sold at hugely inflated prices. 

No me neither, my point is that I tried the cheap Chinese ones in my 987.2 and they caused all sorts of errors with the Canbus system, the Horizon ones I linked didn’t. 

I’m not sure that the early 986 has a Canbus system, maybe that’s why you and Tynesider have no issues with the cheap leds in your cars? I’m happy to be corrected. 

1 hour ago, bandit_287 said:

No me neither, my point is that I tried the cheap Chinese ones in my 987.2 and they caused all sorts of errors with the Canbus system, the Horizon ones I linked didn’t. 

I’m not sure that the early 986 has a Canbus system, maybe that’s why you and Tynesider have no issues with the cheap leds in your cars? I’m happy to be corrected. 

My point is that the lights you bought from Horizon are cheap Chinese ones. 

The fact that you paid a higher price for them, doesn't make them any better. 

Yes, there is also plenty of rubbish out there, but not all as you have found out. 

I have the novsight ones in my citroen. Better than the previous citroen that had xenons. No problems at all. I'll put some in the boxster eventually which currently has some kind of uprated bulbs in but I don't use it at night much. The LEDs are so good I almost never put full beam on when driving at night and the standard full beam bulbs look weak and yellow in comparison. They're a bit of a tight fit being larger than standard is all. I've checked and after 6 hours of night driving they seem cooler than standard bulbs.

I haved used ultinons in the reflectors in my touareg for nearly 2 years now, no heating issues, no alignment issues, no fitting issues, no error codes and no on-road complaints from other road-users.  They are designed for reflectors and work well for that purpose.  They are not strictly road-legal.  For a projector lamp you need to worry less about the alignment issues I would think than a reflector so I'd think there is a better chance the cheaper LEDs would work without a problem.  In my experience the cheaper LEDs have poor alignment, don't fit as well to an existing H7 and don't have good cooling.  That isn't to say they are not worthwhile, if you can buy 10 of them for the cost of Philips and they work for you, why not?

2 hours ago, mike597 said:

In my experience the cheaper LEDs have poor alignment, don't fit as well to an existing H7 and don't have good cooling.  That isn't to say they are not worthwhile, if you can buy 10 of them for the cost of Philips and they work for you, why not?

It might help if you stated which make and model that you used so people can avoid them, rather then just saying 'cheaper' as they don't sound worthwhile to me at all. 

5 minutes ago, PaulQ said:

It might help if you stated which make and model that you used so people can avoid them, rather then just saying 'cheaper' as they don't sound worthwhile to me at all. 

I don't remember it was two years ago.  I tried about 3 or 4 different types off ebay and none of them were very good, either they had poor light output, fitted badly or they had poor alignment.  I was recommended to try the Ultinon and they 'just worked' so I can similarly recommend Ultinon.  My experience of other options was none was fit for the purpose I had - to use in reflectors - but I could see how some I tried might work better in projectors.

On 12/7/2020 at 5:46 PM, PaulQ said:

No. 

I did a little reading up the other day and PaulQ is correct, they are not legal. I wouldn't fancy my collar being ruffled or failing an MOT. 

My car has xenons but they would be for my daily which is a Golf. 

I've swapped to Phillips, the best ones they do, but they still don't cut the mustard like xenons do.

Archived