Near side rear fog light

zcacogp

Chaps, 

Quickie - I noticed yesterday that the near side rear fog light on my 987 doesn't work. Closer examination reveals that there isn't the wire in the wiring loom to make it work; the N/S rear cluster has 5 wires to it, the O/S has 6. However the cluster itself has correct bits to make the fog light work and the bulb in the holder is a correct 2-filament bulb to work as a fog light (the other filament is one of the three rear running lights). 

I can only assume that this is the way that the car was built and it would be dead easy to make the N/S fog light work by running a wire across from the O/S to the N/S plug. Has anyone does this? If I was to do this then does anyone know where I'd find a pin to add the extra connection to the N/S loom plug? 

(My car happens to be a 987 Cayman but I assume it is the same with the Boxsters). 

Ta! 

As above.  Minimum requirement for fog light is “drivers side” if you have one light. 

987’s U.K. spec will only have offside fog light.  (Same as on my 2004 Toyota daily dog box ) 

You might get canbus related errors with bridging wires across from one side to the other.  

lot of cars on U.K. roads with single fog light, it’s not a Porsche thing as such. 

I may have a go at this to see if I get any errors. I would, at first, just put a bulb on the end of a wire to see if putting in an extra bulb gives me an error.

If it does then at least it won’t have taken a lot of time and will be easy to reverse it.

If I get no errors I will spend some time putting a permanent wire into the loom.

Hopefully the connection to the N/S light will be possible with a modified standard connector.

It will be next week before I get to it, so if nobody else has had a go I will update my conclusion on here. 

16 minutes ago, Mike1960 said:

I may have a go at this to see if I get any errors. I would, at first, just put a bulb on the end of a wire to see if putting in an extra bulb gives me an error.

If it does then at least it won’t have taken a lot of time and will be easy to reverse it.

If I get no errors I will spend some time putting a permanent wire into the loom.

Hopefully the connection to the N/S light will be possible with a modified standard connector.

It will be next week before I get to it, so if nobody else has had a go I will update my conclusion on here. 

your ride says 987.2 - they have LED rears  - so that may well make sticking a bulb on 1) inconclusive 2) might hurt something (who knows - just lower voltages and electronics vs 12 v work or not always makes me cautious) 3) - if it works are you bridging led to bulb, led to led, led to empty, bulb to empty - I haven't had to pull a rear light on either of my 987.2's so I don't know if the fogs are bulbs or leds etc. but for me not sure I understand the "win" vs the "agg" - its not like its broken, it works as designed = and with canbus monitoring you know if its broken. There is some debate about fog lights in the same "plane" as other ights and effectively masking brake lights ..... no comment on that but generally the safety nazis would be writing to the daily mai in their 1000's if they could find an angle regarding the single fog light.

As always, your car, your call, and your reasoning - just offering my thoughts on it,

On 12/13/2020 at 7:22 PM, Paul P said:

As always, your car, your call, and your reasoning - just offering my thoughts on it,

Just to finish this off. I took the N/S light off and it is all LEDs. Who knew?

Well @Paul P knew, probably a lot of other people and now me.

The fog light LEDs are all there as are six wires entering the back of the plug. I can only assume that at some point in the loom the N/S fog light is not connected.

Decided to stop there, still unsure why all the hardware is put in place and then a conscious effort is made to not connect it. I have read a post about a 986 with bulbs just needing a short loop of wire placed in the loom at a connector at the back of the boot to enable the unused fog light, but I am assuming that mine wouldn’t be quite so easy, unless someone else has done it and can advise otherwise.

A possible guess as to why one is used is the U.K. regs

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/11/made)

specifies a minimum gap (100mm) between the fog and brake light so maybe the only use one side to provide the required separation. Otherwise there’s a challenge to get the lights installed in a single cluster. 

just a guess. 

There is only one foglight on the offside for a reason.  I think it is because it can be dangerous to have both fog lights working, as it blinds the brake lights in foggy conditions.

They are one of the most mis-used pieces of equipment, and it is a pet hate of mine to see cars travelling down the motorway at 70+mph in the rain with the rear fogs on....

Hi Richard,

this sounds a reasonable explanation for not having two fog lights.

It’s also a pet hate of mine. I remember the days when cars were just fitted with a switch that was separate to the headlights and no warning on the dashboard.

Some people would put them on from September to March.

Thanks Mike

5 minutes ago, T911UK said:

911 SC, 3.2, 964 & 993 have 2?

Aren’t they separate from the main light cluster? 

seem to remember the SC had them below the bumper or perhaps below the bodywork. 

that takes them out of the line of brake lights giving the separation 

Late 944 as well - and I think early 944 too. And they had them in the same rear light cluster as the other lights (they only had one rear light cluster). 

However in fairness it was a big cluster and I think that the brake lights and fog lights could have been at opposite ends thus achieving the 100mm separation mentioned. 

18 hours ago, Mike1960 said:

Hi Richard,

this sounds a reasonable explanation for not having two fog lights.

It’s also a pet hate of mine. I remember the days when cars were just fitted with a switch that was separate to the headlights and no warning on the dashboard.

Some people would put them on from September to March.

Thanks Mike

Don't think any UK car was made with no rear fog light warning. Even after market kits had illuminated switches.

7 hours ago, Paul P said:

Aren’t they separate from the main light cluster? 

seem to remember the SC had them below the bumper or perhaps below the bodywork. 

that takes them out of the line of brake lights giving the separation 

Arhh, yes, they all would be 100mm away from brake light

Archived