Changing plugs and coil packs, what surprises lie in store?

Pacoryan

3 minutes ago, Pacoryan said:

It is rounded to ***k sadly, and my gentle persuasion tapping in an Allen key and trying to coax it has not improved matters.  I like the sound of this splined bit though, thanks, I shall investigate, I only have hex and torx bits to hand.  All the others were barely tight, so I’m hoping a little bite is all it will take.  

https://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-mixed-drive-spline-socket-bit-set-8-pcs/8837f

Job done, gentle tap in, a squeeze on the ratchet handle and off it came! And I got new tools in to the bargain.

all back together, running smoothly, test spin later on an um... essential journey.

thanks again!

27 minutes ago, Pacoryan said:

Job done, gentle tap in, a squeeze on the ratchet handle and off it came! And I got new tools in to the bargain.

all back together, running smoothly, test spin later on an um... essential journey.

thanks again!

Glad I could be of assistance

1 hour ago, Pacoryan said:

thanks again!

Motor vehicle maintenance is permitted and part of any maintenance should involve a specific test to ensure all is satisfactory of course. 😉

Essential test drive done, it’s like a new car.  Always had a slight low rpm hesitation, easily driven around but it’s gone, and it pulls beautifully and powerfully right around the Rev range. The cool weather, extra power and a couple of roundabouts have highlighted the next expenditure, new rear tyres... 😉

2 hours ago, Pacoryan said:

Essential test drive done, it’s like a new car.  Always had a slight low rpm hesitation, easily driven around but it’s gone, and it pulls beautifully and powerfully right around the Rev range. The cool weather, extra power and a couple of roundabouts have highlighted the next expenditure, new rear tyres... 😉

Really might be cool weather, at zero or below road temps normal or summer tyres do give up a lot of grip and you've also just found another 20-30 or so horses.  Unless they are worn old or cracked maybe just get through winter although new rubber will always make a difference.

On 1/9/2021 at 5:25 PM, Pacoryan said:

Well I do when it works, the stuck drop-link was swapped today by my local garage in 45 minutes for £45, that was money well spent! 
Passed the MoT with a clean sheet too!

Any idea how they did it? Presumably cutting off the ball joint and impact gun on the 17 mm flats to get the shaft turning?

22 minutes ago, CRC said:

Any idea how they did it? Presumably cutting off the ball joint and impact gun on the 17 mm flats to get the shaft turning?

And most likely some heat!  Having done 3 stuck ones myself last year, with the benefit of a ramp I reckon 45 mins to an hour is fair.  My 450Nm battery impact gun wouldn't touch it to start with, needed a long bar to work it for a few mins and some heat to break up the chemical corrosion, but a heavy duty air powered one might get it from the start.

Unless you ahve all the tools and are determined to do the job yourself (as opposed to a route to saving some money) it is worth paying 45mins labour.

• 1 month later...
On 2/12/2021 at 2:04 PM, CRC said:

Sorry I missed this, heat basically!  I don’t have a gas torch.

Archived