Who’s running 15mm & 7mm spacers?

Digidick

• 2 months later...

Been thinking of fitting spacers for a while. Kept looking at images of 15mm fitted to the rear and felt it was just a bit too much. So ordered a set of 10mm and fitted them to the rear. Think it looks just right.

59 minutes ago, MickH said:

After quite a few different sizes, I'm now running 15mm front and 25mm rear.  Ill have some various sizes for sale when I can dig them out

on what wheel sizes? interested to see, got any pictures?

20 minutes ago, stevethegreek said:

on what wheel sizes? interested to see, got any pictures?

18" 10j rear.  But its the offset that is more important.  Have a look at my build thread and Ill get some closer pics at the weekend if you want

16 hours ago, MickH said:

18" 10j rear.  But its the offset that is more important.  Have a look at my build thread and Ill get some closer pics at the weekend if you want

just checked out your build thread, very nice looking car with some tasteful mods 👍

A related question so hope the OP wont mind the slight thread creep.

I have a set of 7mm/15mm spacers ready to go on mine. Do people fit longer bolts when fitting these spacers? If so what length? My gut feel is that the 7mm spacer would be fine with the standard bolts but I am wary that the 15mm spacer might be a thread (or two) too far for standard bolts.

On 3/31/2021 at 8:23 PM, entdgc said:

A related question so hope the OP wont mind the slight thread creep.

I have a set of 7mm/15mm spacers ready to go on mine. Do people fit longer bolts when fitting these spacers? If so what length? My gut feel is that the 7mm spacer would be fine with the standard bolts but I am wary that the 15mm spacer might be a thread (or two) too far for standard bolts.

yes, mine came with a set of longer bolts for both front and rear spacers.

Keith

• 1 month later...

Just ordered a 7/15mm set for my car too. I think the bolts I have are original and they are quite rusty, so I wanted to replace the bolts anyway and now I can also get the spacers installed at the same time. As I have the car parked in a public garage I went with the locking bolts.

Thanks @Finbox

This might seem like a really silly question, but how do you measure if there will be enough clearance with the wheel arch?

I ran a straight edge vertically, top to bottom, touching the widest point of the tyre (the protruding part that protects the wheel rim) extending upwards to the highest point of the wheel arch. It didn't seem like there was any clearance, but of course the wheels don't travel anywhere near that far vertically.

How have you guys judged it?

Bought the E Bay kit for my 997.2 now on 987.2.

The 15mm & 7mm set are the same and fit many Porsche models.

I sold the 997.2 as stock so they were in the shed.

Saw some pics posted on here and decided to put them on yesterday. Nothing else to do a peeing down again.

Wheels are silver but bolt set was black as they were ordered for my last car. Think they look alright though. The Car is the 2.9 so the calipers are dark colour as well.

500% improvement on the handling (joke) purely aesthetic but I think the next model very slightly widened the axle width? Could be wrong.

Now what to do next??

21 hours ago, Bayernlarge said:

Thanks @Finbox

This might seem like a really silly question, but how do you measure if there will be enough clearance with the wheel arch?

I ran a straight edge vertically, top to bottom, touching the widest point of the tyre (the protruding part that protects the wheel rim) extending upwards to the highest point of the wheel arch. It didn't seem like there was any clearance, but of course the wheels don't travel anywhere near that far vertically.

How have you guys judged it?

I just trust the guys on here (having full faith) who run standard dimension 19" rims (i.e. Porsche standard - 8J x19 with 57 offset front, and 9.5J x19 with 46 offset rear; this is the largest dimension for (summer)rims on 987.1 as per Porsche's manual; note, 987.1 'S' and 'non-S' models appear to be identical as regards the largest rim size) and have fitted 7mm front/15mm rear without negative feedback.

And, if it turns out these guys just couldn't be asked to tell use these don't fit, then there will be a nice Eibach spacer kit up for gabs on here or fleaBay in a few weeks...

If I was to run non-standard 19" wheels then I suppose I'd take an educated guess (i.e. measure and extrapolate) and take a plunge (although would perhaps opt for a cheaper kit to mitigate the risk of losing too much money).

Archived