replacing mesh wind deflector with auto glass or perplex on 981

Afrikaner

As a newbie to the forum any tips on above. I am sure its come up in the past. I have found a German auto glass product for a lot of Euros and a UK item in perplex for £70. Also want P O R S C H E  as a clear sticker or engraved. I saw on you tube a guy with very nice GTS who had had done.  

18 minutes ago, Afrikaner said:

As a newbie to the forum any tips on above. I am sure its come up in the past. I have found a German auto glass product for a lot of Euros and a UK item in perplex for £70. Also want P O R S C H E  as a clear sticker or engraved. I saw on you tube a guy with very nice GTS who had had done.  

Check out Porsche 981 GTS Owners Review - The Best Porsche for 40k? OPP on channel TPN TV 

3 hours ago, Afrikaner said:

Check out Porsche 981 GTS Owners Review - The Best Porsche for 40k? OPP on channel TPN TV 

That’d be mine 😁

it’s the glass wind deflector from German company, can’t recall the name of the company. The Porsche lettering were calliper decals I ordered on eBay. 

10 minutes ago, Davidbf1.com said:

That’d be mine 😁

it’s the glass wind deflector from German company, can’t recall the name of the company. The Porsche lettering were calliper decals I ordered on eBay. 

Thanks David the German company I think is  https://shop.ur-windschott.de/en/ will go down the same route for both items. If you ever make it up to Scotland and want to catch up please get in touch. We are in Perthshire with some awesome roads.....or trackday at Knockhill?

Hi @Afrikaneryes that’s the company. Cost was a lot more than Perspex but obviously the quality is higher. It is also handy for use as a solid mounting point for a GoPro camera too. The Porsche lettering decals - I actually applied 2 sets - firstly a white one and then over the top of that, a dark grey one - the white one shows in the rear view mirror, looking from the inside outwards, and the dark grey one is what you see from the outside, looking in - very subtle!! Needed a bit of patience to line the 2nd decal over the first!

Not sure if you’ve taken a look at the 3 or 4 part European road trip videos on TPN TVs channel, but that was us and the trip I’d arranged and put together. We’re hoping to do it again Sept this year, but depends on if restrictions have lifted enough of course, hopefully also 2 options - longer trip for those who can be away for longer, meeting up with those than]t can’t in Stuttgart for the 2nd leg.

my best friend @Saxosimlives nearby, and was on that road trip. He’s made some fantastic subtle mods to his 986S, and we’re both long overdue a bit of a trip up and into Scotland, so we might try and sort something for sure, although it might end up being next year if our sept road trip goes ahead, as we are both also busy in July on a London to Paris cycle challenge in memory of my son Adam who lost his battle with a brain tumour 23rd Dec 2019, aged just 27.
If we’re still confined to the UK for the road trip then I’m sure we’d look into heading north for a few days!

10 hours ago, JohnSyn said:

Absolutely! Blimey, @Davidbf1.com, thats a tight fit for your car in the garage! Assume you push it in?

Haha @JohnSyn - not quite, but it HAS to be reversed in (so I can use the mirrors for placement), and rear near side up tight against the brick pillar to give me as much space to open the drivers door as possible. Helps to have the roof down, and driver’s window down once in the garage, to get in and out of the car!! 

There is a lip in the garage floor of about 40mm, which the rear wheels come up against right when the car is part-way in, with the side mirrors just before the metal frame of the garage door, with just 25mm either side between mirror tips and the door frame. Right at the point you’ve got to give the car a bit of beans to get up the lip (yes, I’ve put some wood down to lessen the “step”. Touch wood, I’ve always been lined-up correctly so far!!!

Tight fit!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

41 minutes ago, Davidbf1.com said:

Haha @JohnSyn - not quite, but it HAS to be reversed in (so I can use the mirrors for placement), and rear near side up tight against the brick pillar to give me as much space to open the drivers door as possible. Helps to have the roof down, and driver’s window down once in the garage, to get in and out of the car!! 

There is a lip in the garage floor of about 40mm, which the rear wheels come up against right when the car is part-way in, with the side mirrors just before the metal frame of the garage door, with just 25mm either side between mirror tips and the door frame. Right at the point you’ve got to give the car a bit of beans to get up the lip (yes, I’ve put some wood down to lessen the “step”. Touch wood, I’ve always been lined-up correctly so far!!!

Tight fit!

Now thats what I call close! Great bit of manoeuvring ! Now I can see the car has been reversed in, doh!

Edited by JohnSyn

17 hours ago, Davidbf1.com said:

And best pic I have at present showing the decal on the deflector (if you zoom in! )

Decal

Very tight indeed! I scraped the front passenger indicator of garage wall the first week I had the car.............sick feeling and I have lots of room! Did you buy LED indicators from OPC?

Hi @Afrikaner, you mean the front side-repeaters? Yes got them from OPC. I’d returned a leather key fob due to a design-flaw - not a manufacturing flaw - and wasn’t happy with it - we nearly lost one of the keys to our Macan down a street drain cover as the inner tether wasn’t fixed in any way. As I said, more a design flaw, not faulty. Shame, as it was quality leather item otherwise! Swapped it for the LED side repeaters after about 8 months waiting whilst the new accessories range launched (and no improved/alternative leather key fob), which in the end saved about £15-20 off what I would have paid for the indicators.

Made my own many years back ........ bought some 4mm perspex made a template and produced a few of them . Modified on to act as a GoPro two way mount.  Suitably tested to excessive speeds on the German Autobahn  Tops ..........aarff 🤣

1 hour ago, Toeside said:

Made my own many years back ........ bought some 4mm perspex made a template and produced a few of them . Modified on to act as a GoPro two way mount.  Suitably tested to excessive speeds on the German Autobahn  Tops ..........aarff 🤣

How did you cut the perspex nice and neat mate?

4 minutes ago, daz05 said:

How did you cut the perspex nice and neat mate?

Just using a jigsaw (fine cut blade) with tape on the cut line. Perspex is quite forgiving if you take your time ...practice on some scraps and you will get the feel. It will plane and file very neatly also. Easy to work with just reduce the pressure 👍 It will also mill and you can use a router ......... Its a fine line between cut and melt. You will soon pick up the skill.

If you draw a fine file along the cut edge you should attain a very decent finish

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Davidbf1.com said:

Hi @Afrikaner, you mean the front side-repeaters? Yes got them from OPC. I’d returned a leather key fob due to a design-flaw - not a manufacturing flaw - and wasn’t happy with it - we nearly lost one of the keys to our Macan down a street drain cover as the inner tether wasn’t fixed in any way. As I said, more a design flaw, not faulty. Shame, as it was quality leather item otherwise! Swapped it for the LED side repeaters after about 8 months waiting whilst the new accessories range launched (and no improved/alternative leather key fob), which in the end saved about £15-20 off what I would have paid for the indicators.

Thanks again I will add them to my list of parts to buy from OOPC Perth when they re-open

4 hours ago, Little Urchin said:

I notice from the UR-Windschott site they sell both a "low version" and a "hich version".  Which version do you have Afrikaner ?, thanks, the pictures on the website are not that clear to see the difference. 

Hi Little Urchin not ordered mine yet its Davidbf1.com that has the pics of his GTS