Insurance/Tracker/Tesco ...

I have just been contacted by TESCO Insurance despite having the policy for a month to be advised that I MUST now fit a tracking device or I can forget theft cover... Now whislt I have been contemplating a tracking device anyway, I am none too happy in the manner in which they have laid my over a barrel... (having taken my deposit and 1st months payment).. all of a sudden my favourable quote ain't so favourable.

Has anyone had similar experience, acn anyone point me towards another insurer and finally, does anyone know where I can get a good price on a tracking unit up here in bonnie Jockland or even the good old North East?

Help advice...

Geordie

when i lived in newcastle TURNERS were the main men for all things in car security - honest - reasonable and as far as i remember a family firm - i like that!

good luck geordie!

jc

PS i am surprised at tesco - they always state a tracker must be fitted to these cars... :unsure:

The annoying thing is i specifically asked if the policy was based on the car is it stands without the device fitted and they CONFIRMED that no device would be neccessary... Then again, it was probably some 17 year old snott ridden kiddy at the other end of the phone...

Bitter? No just very twisted!!

Geordie

When you get your insurance you should also get a proposal confirmation. Here is listed the type of car, reg, you address, convictions, accidents etc. Also contained in this section will be what security devices the insurer requires you to have for your policy to be valid. You usually have to sign this and send back to the insurance company to confirm that everything is correct. I'd check this to see what security they expect you to have.

I know when I got a quote off Tesco they would not insure the car without a Tracker fitted.

What does everyone pay for insurance ? I got a quote for £1800 for a new Boxster S, I'm 27, 3 yrs no-claims and 1 fault accident in the past 3 yrs.

Jeez. My premium only costs a bit more than that!!!

So does mine now! It came down from £1200 to £700...pretty damn good.

If anyone does go with esure let me know, cos I have a recommendation reference I can give you which will give me £25 for each new policy ;)

ask them for the tape of the telephone conversation - you are entitled to it. If they say that on the tape, then there's nothing much they can do about it :D

ask them for the tape of the telephone conversation - you are entitled to it. If they say that on the tape, then there's nothing much they can do about it :D

yeh i had a similar thing with lloyds a few yrs ago - in short i told them to review their recording and guess what... they couldnt find it! so they gave me the first price after all!

jc

I insure my 911 through Norwich Union Direct, and they don't require a tracking device (but I do live in "low risk Swindon") :P

I'd kick up a hell of a fuss with your current company, though, and if they don't capitulate, take it up with the insurance ombudsman.

Okay I'm sorry to admit to this but I spent 10 years working in insurance, specifically personal lines (motor,home etc) although I am now fully recovered!

All these responses are quite correct Geordie Lad. The proposal you have signed is the contract between you and the insurance company and will have details of the required security on your car. If you have signed to say it has a Tracker then you need to get one NOW. If, however, there was no mention of this on the prop, you cannot be reasonably expected to get one now. The insurance company can make changes to rating factors at will but in most cases will only invoke these at renewal.

As previouly mentioned, see if you can get them to listen to the recording of the converation and see if this was explained to you correctly.

Cheers

Pete

geodielad,

i have used tesco and i think your comment about who you speak to is particularly important.

i had to call about 3 times in order to get all the details correct.

however they were quick to admit it was their error each time.

tracker was mandatory. the website requires you to enter the tracking device before you proceed to the quote stage.

p

I'm with Tesco. Had to get tracker fitted, went with the RAC Trackster through a company called SIMBA. They have fitting crews all over the uk. Tesco were the cheapest that Icould find. £1300 on my new "s", full protected no claims, no accident claims, no points, private drive, nice area of Notts and i'm 27yrs old. I thought it was a good quote not so sure now though.

Archived