No speedo.

Bradders59

I still havent got my recently acquired 986 on the road, mostly due to my commute car (Clio 1.5 DCi) blowing its turbo seals on the way home from work last week.

So I need to concentrate on getting that roadworthy, before playing with the Boxster. Priorities and all that.

Anyway, I know from the previous owner that the speedo doesnt work, and he supplied me with a new speed sensor, as apparently that is where the problem lies.

Does the speedo reading come from one wheel in particular ? If so anyone know which one please ?

It would save me taking multimeter readings to try and find which one is duff.

Tia.

Right hand side of the diff casing by the driveshaft flange, not off a wheel.  It is actually listed in the PET as the VAG part number 012 406 191 C (up to 99 MY) or 012 405 191 D (00 MY on) but looks like an up issue so either should work.

• 3 weeks later...

Got under the car for the first time today and had a look for it, but couldnt find it. Quit a lot there to look at when you dont know your way around them.

I assume right hand side is offside ?

Shone a torch in there but couldnt see it, or even the wiring to it.

I did notice a fair bit of oil on both cam covers though, so I assume plugs / tubes / probably coil packs can be added to the list.

Thats a great help thanks. I will climb back under tomorrow and have another look. Its still backed onto the ramps as I want to change the oil and filter, so will hopefully do that and change the sensor at the same time. Weather permitting of course.

Thanks again.👍

Had another good look and Im 99.99% sure mine is different to that. No sign of the sensor or its wiring in that area. I wonder if the diagram is from a different model year ?

There does appear to be ABS sensors at both rear hubs. Not sure if thats significant or not.

Archived