Boxster 981s - Thoughts on value & alternatives?

hj04

That's certainly a rare spec you have, good luck when you eventually list it.  How does the Maser compare?  Must be good to lead you to sell the Boxster!

I've only just seen the start of this thread and I was looking at similar cars before deciding on the 981S - the R8 spider manual and S3 Elise 220 were on my shortlist.

Thanks. Maser completely different really, a much bigger and heavier car so you have to remember you are not driving the boxster! It does disguise its weight surprisingly well and feels a real event to drive, even at slow speeds. The noise is pretty outrageous. If i do sell the boxster I will need to find a replacement convertible in due course.

Out of interest did you drive the R8, if so thoughts? I like them but boot space on the spyder looks terrible.

On 4/24/2022 at 5:15 PM, hj04 said:

Afternoon all,

I have realised is been over a year since I started this thread. As a brief update I kept the Boxster and added an MC Stradale to sit alongside as a nice contrast.

In the next few weeks or so I will be advertising the Boxster for sale, most likely on Autotrader. I don't think I am allowed to formally post in the for sale section due to not enough posts, but assuming I am not breaking any rules I thought I would drop a message here incase anyone is on the hunt. I am not sure yet what price I am looking to advertise for, I need to get myself upto speed on where the market is.

In terms of the car its a 981 S PDK 3.4 Boxster in Agate Grey and black roof,  registered November 2015. 1 previous owner, currently on approx 46,000 miles. Full Porsche service history and Porsche Warranty until Oct 2022 which of course can be extended. MOT due Oct 2022. I took ownership from approx 11,000 miles and all servicing has been through Porsche Harston. Fuel wise I always use Tesco 99 Momentum. Next service due the earlier of Oct 2023 or around 57,000 miles from memory.

I have pasted the spec below for reference again, highlights include PSE, PASM, PTV, PCCB, PCM, PDLS+, Sports Chrono, Burmester, 18 way Seats.

Reason for sale is being driven by looking to find a boring car for the daily commute and then patiently searching for another convertible for fun weekend/road trip duties. 

Finally @villaman , did you find a 981 spyder? They certainly do interest me.

Spec

PTV (MECHAN. REAR-DIFF. LOCK)

PDK TRANSMISSION (PORSCHE DOPPELKUPPLUNG)

ADJUST. SEAT HEATING, FRONT (LE + RI)

20” CARRERA CLASSIC II WHEEL

CERAMIC - BRAKES (PCCB)

CRUISE CONTROL

EL. DAMPER CONTROL (PASM)

NO MODEL DESIGNATION ON REAR

ROLL-OVER BAR IN EXTERIOR COLOUR

ELECTRONIC AIR CONDITIONING (HIGH)

SMOKER PACKAGE

MOBILE PHONE PREP., BLUETOOTH W/O CONSOLE

INTERIOR LIGHT PACKAGE

SPEED LIMIT DISPLAY (TRAFFIC SIGN RECOG.)

PDLS+ (DYNAMIC HIGH BEAM)

PARKASSIST (FRONT + REAR)

SPORT CHRONO PACKAGE PLUS

TOP PREMIUM SOUND SYSTEM (BURMESTER)

DIGITAL RADIO RECEPTION (DAB)

INTEGRATED AUTOCHANGER (DVD)

DOOR MIRROR, EL. RETRACTABLE (S-NO.)

SPORTS STEER. WH. (PDK W. PADDLE)

P07

Adaptive Sports seats Plus (18-way, electric)

P13

Automatically dimming mirrors with integrated rain sensor

P23

Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module with universal audio interface

XLF

SPORTS EXHAUST SYSTEM

XUB

HEADLIGHT WASHER SYSTEM COVER PAINTED

XXR

TAIL LIGHTS, DARKENED

XYB

FUEL TANK CAP IN ALUMINIUM LOOK

Hi! Did you advertise this yet? PM me the link if you have! On the hunt...

On 5/4/2022 at 10:01 AM, hj04 said:

Thanks. Maser completely different really, a much bigger and heavier car so you have to remember you are not driving the boxster! It does disguise its weight surprisingly well and feels a real event to drive, even at slow speeds. The noise is pretty outrageous. If i do sell the boxster I will need to find a replacement convertible in due course.

Out of interest did you drive the R8, if so thoughts? I like them but boot space on the spyder looks terrible.

Will be reading with interest to see what the replacement convertible is!  I didn't drive the R8 myself, had a ride in a friend's and the ride was plush and the noise was right.  Was looking at the first gen (as I wanted a manual) and the interior really has aged well.  You're right about luggage space - one of the reasons I went with the boxster.

The Boxster really is a Swiss Army knife of a car, so if you want more of a certain feature like track focus, that will help your search.

Originally I was after an Exige S to replace my '65 TR4a, but we got the BGTS which I am pleased to say now (I was very grumpy at the time!!) was the right move.

Some of these cars like the 911/R8 etc and much wider & for me the 981 is a sweet spot of design.

Good luck with your search and interested to see where you end up.

Edited by GTSMarky