Kenwood DMX-5020DABS

RFD

Adding my own experiences here after recently fitting the DMX-8020DABS. Much is similar to RFD's, but I'll note the few differences.

Here's all the stuff with the head unit down the bottom and its leads on the right. The InCarTec adaptors and fitting kits is on the left and above:

01CBAA30-8D2E-4F7E-8173-65447190B7D0

Unlike the DMX-5020DABS, the 8020 is a full depth double DIN. This was problematic during the final stage of the install. As you can see the InCarTec stuff includes a bunch of black boxes that need stashing behind the unit in the limited available space..

Here's the Porsche end of the wiring:

IMG_3544

This confused me at first as the IncarTec adaptor looks like this:

322C827D-EDCE-4F90-B6C8-74F718F3CB8B

and at first glance doesn't seem to match up with the Porsche end. And as I'd removed the previous head unit a few days earlier (the rather terrible Dynavin N6) I didn't have its equivalent adaptor around initially to compare against. Turns out though that everything is correct. Its the fact that there are holes surrounding that vertical blue section that finally twigged as where the things align.

Here's a shot of the space:

IMG_3546

You can see the MOST cable and plug in the foreground. At the rear are the unused Telephone Prep cable (purple end) and USB (Yellow) for the PCM.

The existing GPS cable from the car (with a blue end) doesn't fit the kenwood so you have to install Kenwood's own. Many people route this up to the front of the dash, but I found a much simpler and hidden location for it. I stuck it to the underside of the dash, below where the Sports Chrono clock is. Removing that clock also helps access other cables during the install:

IMG_3549

The GBS cable is the black one heading off to the right and its receiver is stuck upside down about an inch into the dash. The big one in the middle is the for the chrono.

Unlike RFD, I placed the mic on the steering column. This keeps it away from wind noise, is completely out of sight to the driver and is perfectly clear to the other end of the phone call:

IMG_3562

As said, once all the cables were in place, getting the whole caboodle into the space was a right pain. Luckily there are a few gaps to the left and right where the InCarTec adaptors can be shoved along with any wiring bundles. But still the only way to get it all to fit was to give it a very firm push until the fitting kit clicks into place.

So here it all is (in day and night) with the InCarTec surround and my own custom start-up screen with carbon fibre to match the car:

IMG_3564IMG_3566

• Like 3

On 4/3/2021 at 12:45 AM, RFD said:

You’ll notice I’ve not mentioned the USB cable necessary to connect the Apple or Android phone. At the moment I’ve routed mine into the glove box, but it’s only temporary. I think I will probably move it to the cubby at the rear of the transition tunnel eventually. I’m very anti-phone and driving, so want it to be well away from view and that seems like a good place for it

Has anyone used one of those Bluetooth adapters that allow you to transmit car play with connecting via USB?

13 minutes ago, TV8 said:

Has anyone used one of those Bluetooth adapters that allow you to transmit car play with connecting via USB?

I think the general consensus is that they are a bit flakey. FYI the 8020 that i installed has wireless CarPlay built in. Has worked flawlessly so far for me during 4 hours driving. 

4 hours ago, Gutley said:

I think the general consensus is that they are a bit flakey. FYI the 8020 that i installed has wireless CarPlay built in. Has worked flawlessly so far for me during 4 hours driving. 

Thanks Matt, that’s good to know. If I get a 9x7, this will be on the shopping list. Hope you are both well?

On 4/7/2021 at 9:23 AM, Slurms said:

Don't suppose you have any images of where you put the USB socket? 

I've just completed the same install in my 987.2 and wanted to run the USB into the cubby but wasn't sure exactly where to mount it. 

EZ9d13i.jpg

Sorry, I missed your question. I located the USB where the 12v socket in the centre console was (under the arm rest). I left the wiring for the 12v in place in case a future owner wanted to reverse the mod.

Edited by Patrick1964

On 4/11/2021 at 8:51 AM, Gutley said:

Are there two versions of the 8020DABS out there? I've seen some that have no buttons and require USB for Ap/CarPlay and A/Auto (for around £350) and others with a row of physical buttons along the bottom of the screen that connect wirelessly - but at £550?

Are the lack of physical buttons and wired connection sufficient to justify the price increase, do you think?

Wired

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-DMX5020DABS-Digital-Receiver-Android/dp/B08CH97SGS/ref=asc_df_B08CH97SGS/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=463376313969&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2229090281161638302&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006598&hvtargid=pla-975534526225&psc=1 

Wireless - 

4 hours ago, Henry Cooper said:

Are there two versions of the 8020DABS out there? I've seen some that have no buttons and require USB for Ap/CarPlay and A/Auto (for around £350) and others with a row of physical buttons along the bottom of the screen that connect wirelessly - but at £550?

Are the lack of physical buttons and wired connection sufficient to justify the price increase, do you think?

Wired

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kenwood-DMX5020DABS-Digital-Receiver-Android/dp/B08CH97SGS/ref=asc_df_B08CH97SGS/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=463376313969&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2229090281161638302&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006598&hvtargid=pla-975534526225&psc=1 

Wireless - 

No, my mistake. They're different models, the DMX5020 versus the DMX8020 - note to self, 'when in doubt, read the bloody screen!'

19 hours ago, Henry Cooper said:

No, my mistake. They're different models, the DMX5020 versus the DMX8020 - note to self, 'when in doubt, read the bloody screen!'

Yes, two separate models. I went cheap - 5020 and Gutley went premium - 8020, so between us we should be able to answer most questions 😆

3 hours ago, RFD said:

Yes, two separate models. I went cheap - 5020 and Gutley went premium - 8020, so between us we should be able to answer most questions 😆

Thanks RFD - needless to say, I'd love the 8020, but my budget is more secondhand 5020! Given that one's phone needs charging when used for long distance navigation, so it has to be plugged in somewhere, I'm not sure I'd miss the wireless Auto/CarPlay element. Do you get good phone and GPS reception with roof up and the phone in the armrest, and do you find it easy to hit the volume/other buttons when on the move?

Finally, having now got yours sorted, would you do it again, or prefer to pay for 3 hours of a professional's time?

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 3:24 PM, Henry Cooper said:

Thanks RFD - needless to say, I'd love the 8020, but my budget is more secondhand 5020! Given that one's phone needs charging when used for long distance navigation, so it has to be plugged in somewhere, I'm not sure I'd miss the wireless Auto/CarPlay element. Do you get good phone and GPS reception with roof up and the phone in the armrest, and do you find it easy to hit the volume/other buttons when on the move?

Finally, having now got yours sorted, would you do it again, or prefer to pay for 3 hours of a professional's time?

Hi, I get really good reception roof up and down. I live in an area with good 4G and so far I’ve not had any breaks in signal when streaming music or when calling hands free. My phone is kept in the centre armrest pocket thingy. 

the volume buttons are really not good and are my only negative so far. They are small and there’s nothing tactile to let me know when I’m pressing up or down. 

As for fitting, I’d definitely do it myself again. It really took no time at all. I didn’t break any trim clips as the cars are so well made. I really enjoyed fitting it! 

Shame you can't stretch to the 8020 - You might be able to find an 8019 cheaper and I don't think there's much difference. The buttons on both are nice real ones and sit on the shelf at the bottom of the screen so is easy to locate without looking.

Even though it was more of a squeeze than RFD's to fit, I'd still do it again.

56 minutes ago, AR2R987.2 said:

Hi, great info here 👍

Is there a way to make both HU's mentioned above to work with multifunction steering wheel? (at least volume up/down, next/previous song). Thanks!

Hi, yes I believe so. The ISO kit from incartec his a bit more expensive, maybe £30 more if I recall correctly, but it can be done. 
Worth firing them an email and they will tell you what you need. 👍

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AR2R987.2 said:

Hi, great info here 👍

Is there a way to make both HU's mentioned above to work with multifunction steering wheel? (at least volume up/down, next/previous song). Thanks!

Go here and click what you want to put in and what you already have and it'll show you all the options:

https://incartec.co.uk/Porsche/Boxster-facelift-2009

More than likely, this will be one of the things suggested:

https://incartec.co.uk/product/49-por-03-porsche-boxster-911-swc-interface

I finally got round to installing my Kenwood 5020 today. I followed the guides by @RFD & @Gutley  Thanks Guys. 
I had a moment of panic when I unplugged the CDR-24 and saw an optical plug 😳 However, I carried on with the install and all was well.

The hardest part was getting the bloody sun visor back on after routing the DAB aerial. 

I’m probably going to install the reversing camera this weekend as Car Audio Centre gave me a free Road Angel cam when I bought the Kenwood head unit. 
I’ll attempt photos and guidance to reciprocate the help from others on here to get me this far 😀

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

By way of an update, I’ve sold my Boxster 😪

The Incartec fitting kit meant the stereo came out really easily and I’ve put the original CD-R back in for the new owner. The Kenwood will be going in the replacement car, but that’s not a Porsche, so I have a spare Incartec fitting kit and harness available if anyone wants one.
Fire me a message and we can agree details. 
It’s the FK-9591-IGN from https://incartec.co.uk/product/Porsche-987-997-Single-Double-DIN-stereo-fitting-kit-CANBUS-IGNITION-SILVER-FK-9591-IGN

Thanks 

56 minutes ago, RFD said:

By way of an update, I’ve sold my Boxster 😪

The Incartec fitting kit meant the stereo came out really easily and I’ve put the original CD-R back in for the new owner. The Kenwood will be going in the replacement car, but that’s not a Porsche, so I have a spare Incartec fitting kit and harness available if anyone wants one.
Fire me a message and we can agree details. 
It’s the FK-9591-IGN from https://incartec.co.uk/product/Porsche-987-997-Single-Double-DIN-stereo-fitting-kit-CANBUS-IGNITION-SILVER-FK-9591-IGN

Thanks 

Just sent you a msg re the harness and fitting kit. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 4/7/2021 at 10:11 PM, Slurms said:

So that’s what I’ve tried, the problem I’ve had is that it just seems to open the menu when doing the corner tapping bit. I’ve got to be doing this wrong somehow. 

Did you ever get this to work? I have same issue with the bottom left as soon as you touch anywhere (and I tried for about 10 mins) the menu opens so no way of even getting to the single button top left press?

• 2 years later...
On 4/15/2021 at 12:08 PM, RFD said:

Can you tell me how to put a custom start screen on the 5020? I've looked at a bunch of YouTube videos but none of them describe the 5020 and I'd really like that Porsche logo there!

12 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

@Gutley because RFD hasn't been here for 2 years...

No idea about the 5020. For the 8020, I followed the video I posted on page 1 of this topic.

• Thanks 1