Should I jump to a 996?

stupidget

1 hour ago, Mr96er said:

Have both. Then decide which to keep. It will become obvious to you based on your usage and feelings. 

I've seen a 986 just like this for sale 😃

I've never been one for buying a car to turn a profit, but if it happens I'm not going to complain.

The garage where the 996 is located have just called me with an update and have done the following work to get the car ready for me:

- New Alternator

- Removed, repaired and resprayed rear bumper

- Fitted 2 new a/c condensers

- Balancing the wheels

- Fitted new drivers side window regulator

- MOT

- Full service including new spark plugs, oil filter, oil and pollen filter

All at no extra cost!!!  Funnily enough this is pretty much the same work that I had done on my 986 last year.

They're also getting their audio guy to give me a price to replace the PCM.1 at cost.

Hopefully taking it for a another test drive tomorrow and if all goes well then I'll get finances sorted and buy it.

• 1 month later...

I have both 986 Boxster S and 996.1 C4

Both brilliant brilliant cars.

Bought the boxster as it was a total bargain. I reckon the 986 have just moved off the bottom of the depreciation curve whereas the 996 are climbing rapidly in the last 18m

They seem to have the same problems - condensors, rotten pipes, coolant tanks, window mechs, alternator regulators, seized bolts.

996 has ebay manifolds and designtek exhausts. Spools up the revs faster than the 986 which is stock. 

I love the open top vibe of the boxster but reluctant to spend money tarting it up unless values continue to climb. 

It was p*ss cheap to add the boxster on insurance with Locktons (track days covered)

Nice to have both for different roles. Buy both if you can.