Old Chestnut Roof Problem

DB Aberdeen

Hi, new to the forum and I drive an original no frills 2000 986. Only 55000 miles and it's in remarkable condition (body and mechanical) for it's age. A true testament to engineering excellence.

Suffering well known issue of roof not locating properly in side channels and want to fix before it becomes a real problem. Just a matter of pushing the plastic piping back in place with  roof half open just now.

Have You Tubed this to death and the fix appears simple. Replace perished elastic which holds roof edge in tension to locate properly. All the videos show two velcro straps to undo to expose existing elastic and fabric flap attached to roof. I do not appear to have two, only the top one. For the life of me I cannot see or find the lower one. With only top one loosened, roof is still very tight to frame and I can't access anything! I know the roof (fabric only) was replaced a few years ago and now has heated glass screen. Just wondering if this tensioning method was ever updated and I have a different arrangement. Videos show velcro around a formed (not tubular) frame strut. My top velcro is around a tubular?

Any help much appreciated

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I have a 987 and there are still two velcro straps so I’m guessing there was no update for 986. You will need decent access to the little torx screw inside the hood so keep searching for something to undo for more slack in the hood edge. Maybe open the roof a bit more?

• 1 month later...

Thanks BBB. Whatever has gone with the roof before, i simply do not have the expected arrangement. All I have attached to the roof fabric edge is this thin strip of material with plastic piping sewn into the edge as per photo. Anyone seen anything similar before?

Think solution is to sew material and elastic onto this strip and secure end of elastic somewhere suitable. Torx screw plastic housing on metal bar does not exist either !!

porsche roof.jpg

Again, hi and welcome.

If you have glass window on a 2000 986 this is either an aftermarket fitment in which case you cannot be sure oft eh design, or it has had a 2004 model year hood fitted.  Can you post a picture of the whole roof to help?

• 1 month later...

I have the same issue on a 986 with an aftermarket roof - it was OK to start with but now pops out on both sides when closing the the roof the last few cms.

Any update on how to fix it, the 986 doesn't have the same elastic arrangement as the 987 as far as I can see?

I have same issue, think it's an aftermarket with glass. It has the same channel but seems to come off a bit. 

I think it could be the wire has stretched, you can see when you open it a bit that it's attached with a torx screw, might try and add some tension to test. 

The only other thing I can think of is that the roof has shrunk.