Kenwood DMX9720XDS

StephenM

Hi All,

I was looking for a new head unit to replace the standard cdr24 (non Bose) and came across the Kenwood DMX9720XDS which has a massive 10.1 inch screen which is adjustable and designed to use a double din for installation, it also apparently can plug into the ECU to show you all sorts of car information.  I was wondering if anyone has fitted one and what they thought of it? My car is a 987.1.

Hi 

Just spent time on an 'infotainment' swap out I had a CDR30 unit. Looked around for a while and wanted something that blended in with the original car. I remember reading on this forum about keeping the knobs rather than full screen touch.

I took that on board two reasons my car does not have additional controls for volume etc and it was more 'in keeping' with the looks of the car as the other contributor said.

Incartec are not cheap but have all the right adaptors that you may need. 

I made a bit of a gaff in that I did not realise my car although non BOSE did have the ASK amp speaker pack option. 

You MUST check whether you have a car amp or not because most in car stereos have a built in amp and you end up with a double amplified signal and that causes issues!

I went with an Erisin unit as it was recommended, the price was very good, it was as highly specced as the more name brand options liked the knob either side look. It was the new model with 8 core processor, 4GB RAM and 64GB memory, screen bright and clear with good viewing angles and fast operation no lag. You may want to check that as some look better viewed from the left for non UK right had drive markets - narrow viewing angle.

You can get pioneer alpine etc with good size screens that might look more in keeping to the car. Also you need to make sure you accurately measure the unit and buy the correct fascia - they are not all the same.

Horses for courses I suppose - enjoy.

Can upload a fitted pic if you want to see one fitted - the screen is a  just over 6 inches.

Regards

Glen

Hi Glen, did you get the 8.4" option (Erisin ES8142C) - trying to work out if that one would fit my 987.1

Also, have you used the SatNav yet, and if so - what is it like?

They look well specc'd, just not sure whether to trust it as I don't know the brand...

Looking at the site Glen has posted they do a custom fit Xtrons unit. I have this and its a pain in the rear due to no volume control button. Would be OK if you have steering wheel controls but avoid other wise. Shame really because it comes with a Bose/Most adapter.

https://audiotechdirect.com/uge-pq80cmpls-8-android-gps-sat-nav-radio-for-porsche/