Central locking / alarm problems.

Bradders59

Ive only owned my car for a few months. When I first had it the central locking was a bit hit & miss. Sometimes worked ok, other times needed several turns of the key before it would work (the remote c/l has never worked), but always accompanied by a loud "squawk" when it did work.

More recently it has stopped working altogether.

A couple of weeks ago I removed the carpet to dry it out after the drivers side got very wet. While I was in there I unplugged the control module under the passenger seat and gave it to one of the electronic test engineers at work to take a look at.

He said he could see that someone had done some work on it before, but visually it all looked ok and no signs it had suffered from water ingress.

Since plugging it back into the car not only does the C/L not work as before, but I now get the two beeps from the alarm horn when locking / unlocking the car.

Is it simply a choice of living with it, or replacing with a known good unit for £xxx ?

If replacing it I assume I would need to have the replacement coded to my car ?

Tia for info / advice.

Unfortunately your car does not sound the best example.

If your keys do not work remotely then you need to visit you local OPC or indy and order a key head and have it coded to the car.

The double horn beep is telling you that you have an alarm or central locking fault on the vehicle. 

9 times out of 10, this will be down to one of the door lock modules. These are either 7 pin or 9 pin.

Only PIWSIS has the ability to tell you which door has the faulty unit.

They are cheap second hand and my advice would be to only buy Porsche genuine parts.

Thanks. 👍

The car isnt an immaculate example, but I knew that when I bought it for a very low price. It drives very well, but has a bit of a list of minor issues that I am working through.

Im not overly bothered about the remote c/l not working, but more concerned about being able to actually lock the car and to have the alarm working.

I work for a a manufacturer of electronic devices (chips), and although I have no real knowledge myself, I work with a lot of people who do.

I will remove the door lock modules and take them into work, as a first port of call and they may be able to inspect them and possibly even repair them for me.

I have had new micro switches fitted into door lock motors and keyfobs repairedfor other makes, in the past at work, so may be lucky.

Otherwise, will go down the conventional / official route of solving the issues.

9 minutes ago, Bradders59 said:

Thanks. 👍

The car isnt an immaculate example, but I knew that when I bought it for a very low price. It drives very well, but has a bit of a list of minor issues that I am working through.

Im not overly bothered about the remote c/l not working, but more concerned about being able to actually lock the car and to have the alarm working.

I work for a a manufacturer of electronic devices (chips), and although I have no real knowledge myself, I work with a lot of people who do.

I will remove the door lock modules and take them into work, as a first port of call and they may be able to inspect them and possibly even repair them for me.

I have had new micro switches fitted into door lock motors and keyfobs repairedfor other makes, in the past at work, so may be lucky.

Otherwise, will go down the conventional / official route of solving the issues.

Do the passenger door module first - this is the more common failed unit

It must be an Essex thing !

Not sure if this helps. but when I lock mine with the blipper I get a double beep, and the alarm doesn't arm it self but if I leave the passenger door open i get a single beep and then when i close the passenger door, the alarm arms itself !

Door lock modules are VAG stuff and suffer the same dried out non-lead solder on micro switches.

I've had no issues with the aftermarket Audi TT mk 1 module i bought and fitted for £30 off the bay of evil. Mine is an '04 so uses the same part number as the Audi, because its the same..............