Poorly boxster again

Chukkieegg

OK my 98 2.5  cut out on way home on Tuesday night on a roundabout

Anyway after 2.5hour wait rac diagnosed faulty fuel pump and towed me to the garage I normally use local independant

Fuel pump fuse had blown and rac put new fuse in and it blew straight away and checked there was no fuel getting up to engine. 

Garage looked at it Thursday put a new fuse in and took it for couple of drives in traffic and it ran fine so they rang me to pick it up

Drove to work in it fine Friday morning and back home then went was going to a friends last night  been standing about 1and half before I went out again and it died on me again at the exit of a roundabout got the wife to go to halfords and get some 25amp fuses and drop em off to me plugged a fuse in and decided to limp it home and got less than half a mile and it blew fuse again popped in a 3rd fuse and that blew instantly and car would not start so rac recovery again back to garage. 

Orginally fuel pump packed up in Nov last year and this was a vdo pump at £194

My question does this sound like a pump issue or the fuel pump relay gone bad? 

Pump is still under warranty but I am worried if they fit the pump and it still cuts out and blows the fuse

When orginal pump went it coughed and stuttered this now just blows the fuse and cuts out no warning at all

Could be a simple wiring fault causing an intermittent short and blowing the fuse? Think I’d be checking out connections at the pump first, looking for damaged insulation, then maybe the relay then the pump. But I’m not an expert!

Edited by Castaway

1 hour ago, Chukkieegg said:

Pump is still under warranty but I am worried if they fit the pump and it still cuts out and blows the fuse

When orginal pump went it coughed and stuttered this now just blows the fuse and cuts out no warning at all

Assume you've taken it back to where you got the pump fitted. They need to check root cause re fuse blowing as part of the diagnosis. 

The Video I linked may help re diagnosis if you're handy with spanners...

Edited by iborguk

17 minutes ago, iborguk said:

Assume you've taken it back to where you got the pump fitted , I wouldn't worry about it (easy for me to say I know), they need to check root cause re fuse blowing as part of the diagnosis. 

The Video I linked may help re diagnosis if you're handy with spanners...

Pump sounds to be the least of the problem , I'm surprised they didn't investigate the fuse issue further .

Yes same garage it always goes too 

When they put a fuse in it they couldn't find fault with pump and it's been fine since it was fitted in Nov untill Tuesday so could be a wiring fault but nothing has changed on car at front end since the mot which was also nov