Urgent!! Clamshell not shutting!!

Shippers01

Quick update. So got back in car fired it up and the clamshell has now fully closed BUT still showing open on dashboard. Tried to open roof but clamshell struggling to open but appears to open on drivers side a tiny bit but not on passenger side. Any help much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Menoporsche said:

Gears slipping in the drive box? Just a guess. 

That does not sound cheap and easy fix!! Will pop back outside as long as weather o.k. and uncover car and have a look and listen. Hoping may be a micro switch or relay.

I would agree on motor/gears.  There is a limit switch in the motor that tells the system when the roof has got to a certain point so the symptoms all seem to be plausible if there is a motor issue.  

you can pop all the rods of the joints and so the whole thing by hand.  Not a fix but does at least let you close a stuck roof.  

So just got back in car and tried roof again. Can hear the motor whirring but all it is doing is lifting clamshell on drivers side about 2 inches. Put clamshell back down AND there was a bang like something snapped!!!!! Not sure what i have done!! Help!!! Least roof is shut!!!

6 minutes ago, JonSta said:

Yeah that sounds like the plastic gears/rods have snapped. They're designed to do that like a fuse in the system. Someone will be along to tell you how to fix it soon. 

Thanks for the info. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction!!!! 

14 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Look on eBay for Porsche Boxster roof end caps, buy two plastic ones (not metal) for a tenner each. But now you need to locate the gear box for the roof drive. 

Thanks menoporsche. Will have look at ebay. If anyone has bought any off ebay and could recommend a link that would be good. As for finding the roof gearbox drive is that under the roof/clamshell??? Also with the roof stuck up how do you get to open clamshell???

I had exactly the same problem a while ago ...... roof stuck in the closed position and sun shining brightly.

Various videos on YouTube, but the only way that worked for me was using a mate with articulated arms and quality right angled pick to reach back into the spaces where the clamshell hinges are, locate the spring clips that hold the clamshell arms onto the hinges and pull the damn things off (one on each side)

Once the spring clips are off, the arms just pull off the hinge pins and the clamshell can then just be lifted up.

Once up, convert to manual as it takes very little time to raise or lower the roof, and it always works 

If you look for a thread on here I started about a year ago (or was it two?) and there's more detail there.

It's very difficult to remove those bolts when the roof is closed. I tried with every combination of sockets, spanners and ranchers I had, but the space is so limited that only a 3/8 rachet would sensibly fit, and that meant I couldn't get the torque I needed to undo the bolt.

Tried for a couple of days and then gave up. Maybe not impossible, but certainly not easy 

6 hours ago, CRC said:

I had exactly the same problem a while ago ...... roof stuck in the closed position and sun shining brightly.

Various videos on YouTube, but the only way that worked for me was using a mate with articulated arms and quality right angled pick to reach back into the spaces where the clamshell hinges are, locate the spring clips that hold the clamshell arms onto the hinges and pull the damn things off (one on each side)

Once the spring clips are off, the arms just pull off the hinge pins and the clamshell can then just be lifted up.

Once up, convert to manual as it takes very little time to raise or lower the roof, and it always works 

If you look for a thread on here I started about a year ago (or was it two?) and there's more detail there.

Will look for thread. Though i like a power roof!!

First, you need to get the clamshell free so that you can raise it. Then, everything will become clear as you'll be able to see what's going on / happened and easily access wherever the problem is.

12 minutes ago, CRC said:

First, you need to get the clamshell free so that you can raise it. Then, everything will become clear as you'll be able to see what's going on / happened and easily access wherever the problem is.

Thanks crc. This is what i need. Very simple instructions!!!! Everyday a learning day in porsche land!!!