A revisit

cj225

It's possible some of you remember me, and possible none of you do 😄

I did quite an extensive rebuild and guides on a '99 Boxster back in 2016/17 - then I had a baby, so sold up.  I've since had another, and haven't had the budget or inclination to return to the fold.  I have watched in dismay at how much people have paid for much worse examples since (including Flintoff, and Alex from Car Thottle).

Selling mine was a weird one in the end - I say that in that I sold it to a weird guy.  

Here's mostly the condition it was sold in:

image.png.0515bc5d60c4cb642d6b953e79a67256.png

cimage.png.2e637823cc6253860e77fecd8e98c563.png

(slightly older one before the lights were de-yolked)

image.png.99ff4e8aeb24548ceff62995061c0968.png

I've sporadically checked it for a while now, as the guy who so desperately wanted it actually put it for sale almost straight away.  It was pretty much a nut/bolt rebuild by this stage, so what came next was weird. 

I sold it on 156k, with no advisories or issues.  MOT expired the next year (Nov 2017), no attempts, just expired, and it was SORN.  

It reappeared in Jan 2019 and failed with:

"Nearside Rear Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm 265/35-19 (5.2.3 (e))", so someone must have chucked some different (bald) wheels on it, plus:

Nearside Parking brake inoperative on one side (1.4.1 (a))
Offside Front Brake insecure caliper (1.1.21 (c))

So at that point I thought it'd clearly ended up in the wrong hands, and was destined to end up at Douglas Valley (so much so that I was watching their stock!), but it eventually passed the next month - but that was it.  That MOT expired in Feb 2020.

Checked just now, and it looks like it was 'for sale' (according to Cazana) in February, but weirdly like this

1.jpg3.jpg

So I assume that's the same strange wheel swap, but the timeline says:

image.png.14ae596b0f8ac6ca2500e93b5bd5c2a5.png

So, even weirder! All of the lights and repeaters are back to orange, it has the same DIY rubber splitter I made for it, and pressed front plate (with a plinthe added?), is missing the emblem on the bonnet, and - for some reason - has silver mirrors.  Probably from the 'free' one?

I'm assuming it's been tonked or something, as I can't understand why someone (beside being an idiot) would have re-ambered it and put silver door mirrors on it?  That would also explain the 'respray', as the paintwork was mint.

Did it end up on here at any point?  Am I insulting a BoXa.net member?  I'm intrigued as to how it was butchered so quickly.   The DVLA stuff suggests the V5 hasn't changed since I sold it in 2017, but I can't see it being the same guy, so it must be floating around unloved.

Edited by cj225

3 minutes ago, mike597 said:

Welcome back. 

Wonder if the SORN period could be explained by it being used as a track car? 

I see it managed to clock up 250 miles between its fail and pass in 2019.... 

I guess it's possible, but nothing that's been done on it seems consistent with a track car.

I was more thinking that it had become a 'lemonade budget' one - falling into the Zafira ownership type group.

5 minutes ago, cj225 said:

I guess it's possible, but nothing that's been done on it seems consistent with a track car.

I was more thinking that it had become a 'lemonade budget' one - falling into the Zafira ownership type group.

could be right, 11.5k miles over 3 years (without an mot) seems rather high for a track day car

Damn, I was going to suggest a front end bang which could explain the replaced cheap headlights and missing bonnet emblem, and perhaps front wheels going up a kerb, but the first thing to go would have been the home made chin splitter and it's still there....