Here we go then, help me fit a Boxster S exhaust on my 2.7!

joeluth

Hi all, would really appreciate some guidance here, 

I've recently bought a 2001 2.7 Boxster, it's awesome!  but wasn't keen on the eBay drone box that had been fitted,  so I sourced an original one. 

It was listed as a 2.7 backbox, but it had twin tail pipes, I asked the seller if it was a Boxster S exhaust and their reply was that "it was removed from their 2.7".  :confused:

So I figured either the S exhaust fits the 2.7 or maybe, just maybe there was a 2.7 option to have twin pipes..

Anyway.. judging by the part number I believe what I have in fact bought is an early Boxster S exhaust.   part number is (996.111.142.02) 

I've measured the side pipe that fits to the U tube at 48mm wide. 

The car has the  original cats on there, so I assume the U-tube's are also the original ones, which is all a good sign, means not much has changed right?! it would appear that the ebaytastic dronebox was a direct fit.

as you can hopefully see in the last pic the clamps currently on the car are super rotten, but the sleeve looks fine, it's the same on both sides.

I was going to get the OEM sleeves and clamps  but they add up quick, has anyone found suitable aftermarket alternatives?

Can I  just use 6 normal exhaust clamps and replicate what's been done previously, or will it be a bit naff and blow etc? 

Finally this might seem like a stupid question but what diameter clamps should I get to fit a 48mm pipe?  thinking it needs to be at least 1mm up from that?

phew, well if you made it this far, thanks! any thoughts most appreciated!

Cheers!

Joel

Yp1tBGr.jpeg

Boxster S exhaust

JWQ965n.jpg

Twin pipes - early boxster s? 

twZj8lK.jpg

48mm wide pipe that fits the u tube

dt70wS4.jpg

As it currently is :  can't re-use these clamps, obvs!  but the sleeve  looks ok, it's 80mm wide.  

Somewhere in my stash I’ve got a set of standard “U” bends that turn from the Cat Pipes to the 986S back box. They’re used serviceable - if you need those let me know and I’ll double check their condition and we can sort out logistics. 

Clamps - can’t advise on diameters but someone will know and update you. Personally I’d spend the money on decent aftermarket clamps and would t bother with Porsche branded items. 

One thing you haven’t mentioned is the silencer hanger - did the seller send that with the back box?  The 2.7 and 3.2 used different mounts because they had different gearboxes. Would be worth you posting a picture of what you’ve got to go on before you start taking stuff off your car - that way more experienced eyes can spot possible gotchas. 

7 hours ago, map said:

Somewhere in my stash I’ve got a set of standard “U” bends that turn from the Cat Pipes to the 986S back box. They’re used serviceable - if you need those let me know and I’ll double check their condition and we can sort out logistics. 

Clamps - can’t advise on diameters but someone will know and update you. Personally I’d spend the money on decent aftermarket clamps and would t bother with Porsche branded items. 

One thing you haven’t mentioned is the silencer hanger - did the seller send that with the back box?  The 2.7 and 3.2 used different mounts because they had different gearboxes. Would be worth you posting a picture of what you’ve got to go on before you start taking stuff off your car - that way more experienced eyes can spot possible gotchas. 

Cheers Map, that's really cool of you,  I could well end up needing those U bends, I will certainly be in touch about that,  thank you!

Hanger bracket:
The strip that goes across the top of the exhaust? part no - 996.111.241.00  if so then yes, it came with it, seems to be the same part for the 2.7 and 3.2.

or do you mean the triangular one that's currently attached to the car, part number 996.111.226.02. 

Thanks!!

2 hours ago, ziggy said:

Have a look at Mikalor exhaust clamps, should have something in their range to suit.

Cheers buddy, those look really decent, and there's a 47-51mm stainless one there which should fit over the sleeve and snug up nicely. thanks! 

11 minutes ago, joeluth said:

Cheers Map, that's really cool of you,  I could well end up needing those U bends, I will certainly be in touch about that,  thank you!

Hanger bracket:
The strip that goes across the top of the exhaust? part no - 996.111.241.00  if so then yes, it came with it, seems to be the same part for the 2.7 and 3.2.

or do you mean the triangular one that's currently attached to the car, part number 996.111.226.02. 

Thanks!!

The hanger for the 3.2 looks like this, just for you to double check against. Talking from experience be gentle when removing it as the two Allen bolts at either end are fragile!

sAkGF5fl.jpg 

Right,

20 minutes ago, Christopher2110 said:

The hanger for the 3.2 looks like this, just for you to double check against. Talking from experience be gentle when removing it as the two Allen bolts at either end are fragile!

sAkGF5fl.jpg 

Right, got ya, thanks mate, yeah that's pretty much the same as mine, though I think that's a facelift exhaust?  -  the tips are bigger and swappable on that one right?

I think the early Boxster S had fixed tips -  (as in the one I have)  below, complete with hanger bracket.

ALzkvXh.jpg

@map you got me a bit worried now with all this bracket talk!  but if the hanger is the same on the 2.7 and 3.2 as stated here  https://www.douglasvalley.co.uk/prestige-parts/porsche-boxster-exhaust-hanger-bracket-986-2.7-3.2-1999-+-+-2004-year-9961124100-22271/

then I'm thinking it's ok to use my existing bracket,   or am i missing something?

2 hours ago, Christopher2110 said:

Yes, the one in my photo has the swappable tips. But I have used the same bracket on a older exhaust with the fixed tips 👍🏼 

OK cool, good to know, I'm just wondering if it will attach ok to the triangular mount that's on my car, it's been mentioned that the 2.7 and 3.2 have different mounts due to the gearbox length or size, but if the bracket is the same then I'm thinking it should be fine.  I guess I'll find out eventually, but trying to avoid finding out the hard way! 

4 hours ago, joeluth said:

@map you got me a bit worried now with all this bracket talk!  but if the hanger is the same on the 2.7 and 3.2 as stated here  https://www.douglasvalley.co.uk/prestige-parts/porsche-boxster-exhaust-hanger-bracket-986-2.7-3.2-1999-+-+-2004-year-9961124100-22271/

then I'm thinking it's ok to use my existing bracket,   or am i missing something?

The difference is (as I understand it) that the mounts that are specific to the gearboxes. 

See below - these are from D911:

3.2S:

f1ZdgNj.jpg

2.7:

YnW5cMz.jpg

Sadly I have no direct personal experience but know that folk have fallen foul of this difference over the years.
Just wanted to flag it so that you don’t get caught with the car in the air and effectively immobilised.  

Edited by map
Typos

@map  I appreciate you flagging that possibility, thanks for that! I hadn't considered it really until you mentioned it.
 The second image there appears to be for the 2.5 which is quite different, but regardless whilst researching I've discovered that the 3.2 tip used same bracket as the 2.7 manual!

have a look at this listing here - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282251139910?epid=651932662&hash=item41b77a9b46:g:6aYAAOSw44BYJGF-

Same part number as the one on my car which is 996.111.226.02, whilst the Boxster S manual bracket part number ends in 03,
so as you mentioned the 6spd manual gearbox needs a slightly different bracket, but that shouldn't affect me, the actual Boxster S backbox is compatible with the 2.7 bracket.

Assuming there's no other fitment issues of course!  there may well be... but I feel confident enough to give it a shot now anyway.

Cheers for all your feedback, I'll let you know how I get on!  :thumbsup_anim:

Hi there, I did this a month or so ago.

I bought replacement clamps from box - banana from Design911, and 2 of these for Cat - banana

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-VAI-Exhaust-Pipe-Connector-V10-1836-Top-German-Quality-/402888506676?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Do check the bracket mounted to your gearbox - there should be a spacer between the gearbox and bracket - nothing will line up without it. Mine had been removed.

You may also need the threaded bracket that goes at the bottom of the gearbox bracket, and the two threaded pieces either side to support the cats.

19 hours ago, RalphyBMW said:

Hi there, I did this a month or so ago.

I bought replacement clamps from box - banana from Design911, and 2 of these for Cat - banana

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-VAI-Exhaust-Pipe-Connector-V10-1836-Top-German-Quality-/402888506676?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

Do check the bracket mounted to your gearbox - there should be a spacer between the gearbox and bracket - nothing will line up without it. Mine had been removed.

You may also need the threaded bracket that goes at the bottom of the gearbox bracket, and the two threaded pieces either side to support the cats.

Cheers Ralphy!   thanks for the link, that pipe connecter looks spot on.

I actually went ahead an bought a load of clamps already because I'm hoping I can just re-use the existing pipe connecter, it looks fine, the existing clamps have rusted to bits though, I'll probably need to cut them off.

When you say bracket do you mean this part?     if so then yes I can see that's there. :speak_cool:

fancybox_img_2.jpg

A fairly productive weekend, with what little spare time I had!

Somewhat successful but not quite as smooth sailing as I hoped, still I was pleased to get this far.

ZxJmxA0.jpg

of course I am having alignment issues though!

Firstly - I can't re-use my existing u-bends, they are a hair wider one one end, making them the same exact size, so they don't slot into the Boxster S silencer, @map has kindly offered to have a look for his old ones for me so fingers crossed that will solve that problem!

3teGM2R.jpg

Secondly - the cat supports aren't lining up, this seems odd as I believe the cats on the 2.7 and 3.2 are the same, but maybe not, it's like this on both sides, maybe they just got bent ?

nDOg9o5.jpg

The lower support bracket seems to line up ok thought, it's just loosely hanging at the moment so it looks a bit off , but a bit of a lift and it seems to line up fine. 

gBMJ0tb.jpg

Thirdly - Question about the top bracket, (where the main support bolts go through)  there's an extra plate that seems to have been bent,  I thought it might have been done on purpose because it doesn't appear to have been used previously, as you can see washer marks on the plate below, does anyone know what's going on here?   @Christopher2110  I can see these are almost flat on your pic above, am I missing some spacers here maybe?

jPeqe0y.jpg

Any thoughts most appreciated,

Thanks!!!

Joel

Edited by joeluth
tags

I seem to remember my cat supports needing a ‘wiggle’ to line up! They weren’t out by much and I’m sure one bolt instead of two would suffice  

I’ve got a bracket in the garage ready to go on mine when I get round to it…. I’ll dig it out over the next couple of days and have a look at it for you, see whether there are any spacers etc  👍🏼

33 minutes ago, RalphyBMW said:

Hi Joel

the plate should be flat against the bracket to retain the bolts.

see attached

19206376-9B4C-443D-A559-3CF3A6C96828.jpeg

Thanks mate, great photos, oh so the plate is just there to hold the bolts whilst you tighten the nuts then, I get it now! 

37 minutes ago, RalphyBMW said:

This might be more visible.

it looks like you are trying to mount it too far forward; you’ve got that spacer bracket in?

2CF1F5B2-0DEB-46CD-B45E-58CFD80D5023.jpeg

Yeah the spacer is there,if you mean that triangle thingy in the pic above,  I've had another look at I think maybe it's just the cat support arms that are whack.. either bent or the cats are just are positioned differently on a 2.7.   about to get overalls on and get dirty again, ill report back, thanks again for those pics, v helpful! 

I had that same thought, but in fact everything was as it should be, except where I was trying to mount the exhaust (facepalm). Mine is a 2001 2.7 too, and as far as I can tell there are no physical differences vs the 3.2, I went through all the past no’s, etc.

get some pics of the end of your gearbox - it’s also possible that your end bracket might be different.

On 8/2/2021 at 6:17 PM, RalphyBMW said:

I had that same thought, but in fact everything was as it should be, except where I was trying to mount the exhaust (facepalm). Mine is a 2001 2.7 too, and as far as I can tell there are no physical differences vs the 3.2, I went through all the past no’s, etc.

get some pics of the end of your gearbox - it’s also possible that your end bracket might be different.

thanks man!   so here's a shot of the end of gearbox, spacer and bracket with the boxster S backbox fitted.

1HMRE51.jpg

the end bracket has a part number 996.111.226.02 which correlates to the 2.7 boxster, and also the 3.2 tiptronic. (but not 3.2 manual) 

I've tightened up the two bolts on the top hanger, the lower support also lines up nicely with the bottom of the end bracket,    but the additional support arms to the cat are hovering about 1 inch higher.   A bit odd.. 

I'm wondering now if I need to change the end bracket to the 3.2 manual one, which may well lower it, but even if that worked I don't see how it would change the horizontal offset of both cat support arms only fitting over the outer hole on the cat bracket.    

n4pQUNJ.jpgnDOg9o5.jpg

A bit stumped!