Airbag light and seatbuckle issue

mortzz

Hi all while i wait for my scanner to come ive been reading up on the Seatbelt buckle can make the airbag light come on, can anyone shed any light on this please and if so what do you change , also is there a how to check my steering wheel airbag with a multimeter once i get the steering wheel off

Thanks

Andy

25 minutes ago, mortzz said:

Hi all while i wait for my scanner to come ive been reading up on the Seatbelt buckle can make the airbag light come on, can anyone shed any light on this please and if so what do you change , also is there a how to check my steering wheel airbag with a multimeter once i get the steering wheel off

Thanks

Andy

Seatbelt is part of the "static restraint system" along with the airbags - they can cause an airbag light - one of the common airbag light codes happens when you turn the ignition on with a seat removed - that generates airbag and seat buckle codes I think....

Once you can read the codes then you will have a better idea of the problem area.

I read/heard somewhere there is a "repair kit" for buckle wiring that was produced as a fix for airbag light coming on - if that is the issue, or of course - it could be a fault in the buckle.... @Richard Hamilton - do you know anything about the seat wiring repair kit - or did i just make that up ?

The seat belt buckle issue only relates to USA 986s.  On UK cars, there is no electrical connection between the set belt buckle switch and the airbag control unit.  If your car is a later model, and there is a problem with a seatbelt pretensioner, then this could cause an airbal light.  A Porsche specific scan tool should show what's causing the problem.

21 hours ago, mortzz said:

Also is there a how to check my steering wheel airbag with a multimeter once i get the steering wheel off

Thanks

Andy

I had a similar problem with Honda Jazz which had developed a fault in one the seat belt pre- tensioners. Effectively, there is a small explosive charge ( think of a shotgun cartridge) built into the pre-tensioner and that charge is activated in the event of a crash by the SRS system sending a current to a small heater element that quickly glows red hot and fires the explosive.

Every time the car starts up, the SRS system goes through a series of checks and looks for continuity through those heater elements, but using tiny currents.

The rule is that you don't use a multimeter on an air bag or any other part of the system, as you have no idea whether the current supplied by the multimeter continuity test will be enough to fire the pyrotechnics.

Use a specific scanner to identify where the problem lies, but keep your multimeter well away from those heater elements .....