Retro fit Cruise control

Gramps

Hi All. Finally got round to fitting my cruise control stalk to my gen 2 Boxster. Some write ups I read say yeh yeh 20min job, so I presume there must be some short cuts out there. I searched high and low for a post on my exact model (987.2) but couldn't find anything anywhere. Admittedly a relatively simple job, but 20mins?? Probably took me longer than that trying to release the seemingly unnecessary wiring harness clip 🙄. But my question is regarding the 2 x 8mm Torx screws securing the CC stalk to the existing column switches. For those that have tackled this task I presume there is no easy way of getting the "inner" screw in situ without removing the steering wheel? Or is it even necessary? The switch seems solid enough in there. Or does that screw, which screws into a metal bar at the rear of the switches act as a possible earth and is absolutely necessary? I will get the steering wheel off at some stage and add it in then, but wondered if it can make do for now? Anyone ever ran with that option? Next thing to do of course is get it programmed in. 🙂51698940624_0ee01a1f93_z.jpg%20

Having fitted cruise to my 987.1 in the Summer I can confirm that the second screw is not required. The stalk is completely solid with just the one screw and works fine. 
I agree with you about the harness tie - a complete pain to access and release!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gdaybruce said:

Having fitted cruise to my 987.1 in the Summer I can confirm that the second screw is not required. The stalk is completely solid with just the one screw and works fine. 
I agree with you about the harness tie - a complete pain to access and release!

That's what I like to hear 👍

32 minutes ago, Paul P said:

I can code it for you.  I am in Strood. If you can’t find anyone closer then feel free to give me a shout. 

Cheers Paul. I've still got you on my list  (of one 🤣) as you kindly offered previously. Finally got round to fitting it so it's getting nearer. After fitting some TopGear manifolds and cats in the summer I'm off to see Leon at Road Rage Performance in Paddock Wood for a(nother 😌) remap on 30/11, would you be "available" around then? If not I'm sure I could fit in with you whenever. Also I had my old X-type alloys refurbed in Strood a few years back, are you familiar with a good quality refurb place in Strood? Cheers...Rob

23 minutes ago, Gramps said:

Cheers Paul. I've still got you on my list  (of one 🤣) as you kindly offered previously. Finally got round to fitting it so it's getting nearer. After fitting some TopGear manifolds and cats in the summer I'm off to see Leon at Road Rage Performance in Paddock Wood for a(nother 😌) remap on 30/11, would you be "available" around then? If not I'm sure I could fit in with you whenever. Also I had my old X-type alloys refurbed in Strood a few years back, are you familiar with a good quality refurb place in Strood? Cheers...Rob

Will check on the date.  I have used inspraytion in Strood for wheels on a couple of dailies. Good results and I have heard good things from them.  

10 hours ago, Paul P said:

Will check on the date.  I have used inspraytion in Strood for wheels on a couple of dailies. Good results and I have heard good things from them.  

Morning Paul. That name sounds very familiar and I still have an image of the place in my mind which looks very familiar on Street maps so I think that may be the one. I was very happy with the job they done on my Proteus Jag rims. Looking to get my sport design rims done at some time over the winter👍

29 minutes ago, Gramps said:

Morning Paul. That name sounds very familiar and I still have an image of the place in my mind which looks very familiar on Street maps so I think that may be the one. I was very happy with the job they done on my Proteus Jag rims. Looking to get my sport design rims done at some time over the winter👍

Lepsons are in Gillingham - they are the "daddy's" by reputation - but priced accordingly - my biggest issue is having my car up on bricks outside any of these places - there's a company that will come to you, loan you wheels and sub the refurb out to Lepsons - takes away all the "aggravation tax" https://exelwheels.co.uk/ - they have a very good reputation on here.

34 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Lepsons are in Gillingham - they are the "daddy's" by reputation - but priced accordingly - my biggest issue is having my car up on bricks outside any of these places - there's a company that will come to you, loan you wheels and sub the refurb out to Lepsons - takes away all the "aggravation tax" https://exelwheels.co.uk/ - they have a very good reputation on here.

I'll look them up. Pretty sure it was Inspraytion I used previously. Had them do 2 sets for me. I took the wheels to them and left the car "on bricks" outside my own house (which is probably worse 🤣). I don't need the car so will probably just drop the wheels to them, thanks again

12 hours ago, Gramps said:

Checked the date - I am not around during the day - but could do evening - only challenge being it would be on the drive in the cold and dark - but the process doesn't take very long so depending on timing could make it work - but I wouldn't be available until 5-5:30 pm ish

17 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Checked the date - I am not around during the day - but could do evening - only challenge being it would be on the drive in the cold and dark - but the process doesn't take very long so depending on timing could make it work - but I wouldn't be available until 5-5:30 pm ish

Morning Paul. I'm willing to fit in with whatever suits you best. Not sure there will be too many options with the temp for this time of year but daylight is certainly a doable option if it makes things easier for you. You're only 30mins from me so I could make it to you any time. Can't do Mondays due to grandparenting duties. I'm due for the remap from about 11:00, but how long it'll take and when they can get me done is a bit of an unknown. But I'd imagine it'd be done by mid afternoon, so a separate trip would probably suit better and tie in with when suits yourself. TIA ...Rob