Advice required for a good audio recording of the exhaust

Gramps

Hi All. I've been trying to get a good audio sample of the Topgear manifolds/PSE set-up I have on my Gen 2 Boxster S exhaust. I bought a Sports action camera and tried that suckered on above the number plate looking down at the exhaust tips and took it for a drive but it seems too much noise for the camera to handle and didn't sound good. It was marginally better with the car static but still doesn't do it credit. Tried it suckered onto the rear of by my wind deflector, and also tried my Garmin dashcam alongside it but again neither sounded great.
It doesn't have to be video as well, just audio if there's a way to do it justice. Would trying different frame rates on the camera help it handle the audio better?
Can anyone offer some practical advice on how to get a good recording because I think it sounds awesome and wanted to share it with you guys. 

How is the sound recording not working? Does the sound playback sound like it's breaking up? Or is the sound of the exhuast being drowned out by the wind noise?

I believe if it's breaking up: a better quality mic? What exact device are you using?

If it's wind noise then a dead cat / windscreen on the microphone solution

Edited by DisplayName

I’m by no means an expert

However having done many road trips with friends who are they all use an external microphone

Have a Google, YouTube search for the best microphone for your type of camera 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DisplayName said:

How is the sound recording not working? Does the sound playback sound like it's breaking up? Or is the sound of the exhuast being drowned out by the wind noise?

I believe if it's breaking up: a better quality mic? What exact device are you using?

If it's wind noise then a dead cat / windscreen on the microphone solution

Morning DisplayName .Thanks for your reply. Yes the playback sounds like it is breaking up, could obviously be the quality of the mike. The camera is an Akaso EK7000, not the best I know but pricewise I thought I'd give it a try. I did have a GoPro Hero but that went for posh one when it was on my track bike that got trashed 😭. As mentioned the sound is better when the car is static, but I think the road and wind noise once moving is too much. 

11 hours ago, Gramps said:

Morning DisplayName .Thanks for your reply. Yes the playback sounds like it is breaking up, could obviously be the quality of the mike. The camera is an Akaso EK7000, not the best I know but pricewise I thought I'd give it a try. I did have a GoPro Hero but that went for posh one when it was on my track bike that got trashed 😭. As mentioned the sound is better when the car is static, but I think the road and wind noise once moving is too much. 

If you've not got a 3.5mm mic-in then you'll need a compatible USB mic. Unfortunately it's never obvious if a generic USB mic will work with camera XYZ, so some Googling of the exact model number and mic suggestions may help find something on Amazon/Ebay. As JonSta mentioned you'll struggle to get a good sound out of the inbuilt one but a bit of fabric may help a little bit.

12 minutes ago, DisplayName said:

If you've not got a 3.5mm mic-in then you'll need a compatible USB mic. Unfortunately it's never obvious if a generic USB mic will work with camera XYZ, so some Googling of the exact model number and mic suggestions may help find something on Amazon/Ebay. As JonSta mentioned you'll struggle to get a good sound out of the inbuilt one but a bit of fabric may help a little bit.

Yeh, been having a google for an external mic for my model but seems not an option on my model. Even those that do have the option I don't think would work unless they were able to plug in through the protective glass case that is needed to mount the camera? Saw  YT vid where the guy used an external mic for his iphone and married it with the video footage. Still looking and will experiment more. Thanks for your input...Rob 

• 2 weeks later...
My boy kindly offered to have a drive of the Porsche yesterday. So took a couple of vids. Not the best quality location or conditions. Will get some better footage another time. But this vid does give some idea of he sound 🙂

34 minutes ago, Gramps said:
My boy kindly offered to have a drive of the Porsche yesterday. So took a couple of vids. Not the best quality location or conditions. Will get some better footage another time. But this vid does give some idea of he sound 🙂

sounds lovely 😀

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, JonSta said:

If only I thought those manifold bolts would come out easily......

When I done mine I teased each one out gently one at a time. Gave them a squirt of WD40 a few times over the course of a few days then worked on one bolt at a time. Slacken just a bit then tighten, slacken a bit more then tighten less etc giving it more WD40 as it went till the bolt was out,. Then I gave it some copper grease and put it back in. Then done the same with the rest. Didn't try tackling the job till I knew all bolts would come out ok. Luckily enough they all came out ok. Replaced them with stainless steel bolts when done.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gramps said:

When I done mine I teased each one out gently one at a time. Gave them a squirt of WD40 a few times over the course of a few days then worked on one bolt at a time. Slacken just a bit then tighten, slacken a bit more then tighten less etc giving it more WD40 as it went till the bolt was out,. Then I gave it some copper grease and put it back in. Then done the same with the rest. Didn't try tackling the job till I knew all bolts would come out ok. Luckily enough they all came out ok. Replaced them with stainless steel bolts when done.

Replace all bolts with stainless steel studs and copper/ brass nuts then no issues if you ever have to remove manifolds again