battery flat part solved

graham964

6 minutes ago, Paul P said:

I have taken the battery off 3 987s and a 997 and seen it every time. 

Maybe the 981 doesn’t do it ( possibly related to the different power steering). 

Either way.  If it does come up it’s easy to clear just can be a surprise if it does it and you weren’t expecting it.  

Ok good to know

I thought you were referring to a 981 hence my reply.

None of my cars have PSM except the 981 - does that make me a hero?

4 minutes ago, ATM said:

Ok good to know

I thought you were referring to a 981 hence my reply.

None of my cars have PSM except the 981 - does that make me a hero?

Honestly I expected the 981 to be the same, so if they don’t do it it’s a school day.  

Graham

I had a similar issue last year with my 981 GTS so yours appears not to be an isolated occurrence.  The battery was dead, no problem use the stand by key I thought,  however the key did not turn freely in the lock. I contacted Porsche assist but the AA breakdown agent sent by them had no luck. Consultation with the local Porsche dealership resulted in the decision to transport the car to the dealership. The car was nose in to what is a small garage and the only way to get it out of the garage was by placing skates under the wheels!  Porsche had no success using the stand by key and resorted to breaking the drivers side window and removing the interior door panel to replace the lock.  The paint work in the vicinity of the ‘flap’ required touching up. Fortunately I had the extended warranty which covered the event.  Reading your account makes me wonder whether this is a inherent design flaw which probably does not come to light that often.  It’s unlikely most drivers would ever have to enter the car utilising the emergency key so not an oft reported fault.

A8AE7F8E-70FD-48C2-9BA3-65C98D0F4588.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting observation Mike and I am sure quite frustrating and time consuming to resolve. The service key did however rotate in my car although you did have to rotate the key clockwise to unlock it, which is a bit odd. The unknown for me is would it unlock the car if the battery was completely flat. Maybe when I replace the battery I will try locking/unlocking the car with no battery in it.