Full service imminently due, OPC Indy or DIY?

Gramps

My 2011 Boxster S is imminently due its 1st service under my ownership, full service as last one was a minor in March 2020.
It's got a full Official and Indy service history till now. From what I can see over and above the minor service (oil + filter + pollen/cabin filter + usual checks) it includes -
spark plug change (which were changed at 78k 03/20 so won't bother with that)
brake fluid change (last changed 2018)
drive belt change (been 6yrs since previous change in 2016 at 56.7k so due this year)
Tyre sealant replacement? Checked mine and looks like exp date of 28/08/18 so Slime replacement ordered. Has anyone tried using an out of date one of these in anger and cursed when they've found out it didn't work as it was out of date and no good? Or did it still work? Saw one on Ebay for £18 with expiry date 2012!!
transmission oil change (120k or 12yrs, so will likely do that myself next year along with an interim engine oil/filter change)

I changed the oil at 84400 15/8/21, now 85.6k so it would basically be a waste of time and money to do it again so soon, but I suppose it'll have to be changed, got to get that stamp in the book somehow.
Pollen/cabin filter change seems a waste as the roof is normally down almost every time I'm out in it anyway (stays up if we're on our way out and there's any danger of it ruining the wife's hair 😉)? But I suppose I'll change it anyway as it's a cheap job.

The brake fluid, drive belt and transmission oil changes are jobs I could do myself so is it worth sticking with the OPC/Indy?
What are peoples thoughts/experiences?

my 2p’s is worth of opinion  

Seems like you are out of step with the 2 year cycle on some parts. I suspect an OPC will do “all” the major items unless you break the bundle and get to price individual tasks, that might be more expensive and If you do that they may not want to stamp the book. Guessing…..

Indy. If you can find one you trust that isn’t nearly as expensive as opc and they fit the parts you expect (if you want a “from Porsche” oil filter for example, then as long as they don’t fit “same as Porsche use” and charge you for the Porsche price etc.)  then they will likely do what you want and stamp the book. Not all Indy’s are the same and from what I have seen from some they confuse “cheap” with “value” but the right one seem like a good option.  Also.  A good Indy will have a general look over the car and would hopefully spot early signs of an issue on things not necessarily directly listed as service items.  

diy.  Sounds like you are almost there with what you have already done but you will need something / someone to reset the service due indicator in the car - otherwise it will start nagging you for the service it’s already had and down the line stamps on the book are what tends to stick with car rather than a wad of paperwork that supports diy 

As ever, just my thoughts on the question.  

Edited by Paul P
  • Like 1

Your .2 car carries a premium price and it could be that you want to protect that with FPSH. I'd rather see receipts for DIY oil changes every 3000 miles than "correct" FSH with 20000 miles intervals and it's certainly better for the engine. Depends on if you plan to keep the car long term, what value you place on full service history and if you are prepared to continue with the leg lifting exercise every 2 years to get a stamp in the book. 

Plenty of people with Icarsoft PorV1 that will reset the dash service reminder at the press of a few buttons or they are only £50-60 secondhand on eBay.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2022 at 7:35 AM, Codfanglers said:

Your .2 car carries a premium price and it could be that you want to protect that with FPSH. I'd rather see receipts for DIY oil changes every 3000 miles than "correct" FSH with 20000 miles intervals and it's certainly better for the engine. Depends on if you plan to keep the car long term, what value you place on full service history and if you are prepared to continue with the leg lifting exercise every 2 years to get a stamp in the book. 

Plenty of people with Icarsoft PorV1 that will reset the dash service reminder at the press of a few buttons or they are only £50-60 secondhand on eBay.

Already got myself an Icarsoft POR v2 in readiness. Hate it when you need one but then have to wait for it. Was keeping an eye out and bought a "used once" jobbie for £80. Soon sell it on again for similar money when done, at least that's the plan 🙂

• 1 month later...

Well my service (major) was due this month (March) and I was expecting a warning light of some sort but nothing?

Should I have got one?

I was waiting to get my trackday on 21/3 out of the way ( did do an interim oil change last summer and only covered a couple of thousand miles since so wasn't worried about over-running the service interval by a month or 2).

On the way home from the trackday my oil level warning light came on, I wasn't overly concerned and I've topped it up accordingly.

In drilling down on the dash menu I came across the service section and it was advising next service due in 600+ days or <20k (can't remember the exact figures) so it would seem as if the car had been serviced and the indicator reset, of which neither had been done.

Is this normal?

Cheers...Gramps  

21 minutes ago, Gramps said:

Well my service (major) was due this month (March) and I was expecting a warning light of some sort but nothing?

Should I have got one?

I was waiting to get my trackday on 21/3 out of the way ( did do an interim oil change last summer and only covered a couple of thousand miles since so wasn't worried about over-running the service interval by a month or 2).

On the way home from the trackday my oil level warning light came on, I wasn't overly concerned and I've topped it up accordingly.

In drilling down on the dash menu I came across the service section and it was advising next service due in 600+ days or <20k (can't remember the exact figures) so it would seem as if the car had been serviced and the indicator reset, of which neither had been done.

Is this normal?

Cheers...Gramps  

Nope.  Usually. Days count down as you would expect and miles countdown based on number of cold starts and distance travelled.  

something not right there.  

44 minutes ago, Paul P said:

Nope.  Usually. Days count down as you would expect and miles countdown based on number of cold starts and distance travelled.  

something not right there.  

Hi Paul. Yeh I'm getting the "countdown" (which looks like it started from when the service was actually due which was 03/22) but didn't get any actual service due alert? Too cold out there and got the cover on so can't be bothered to get in the car and have another look. Will have to make the effort this weekend though as the wheels are off to be refurbed 🙂