Quick Advice please, Alarm Siren disconnection...

marcusjd

i'm sure this question has been asked / answered but i cannot find it...

My car has stopped locking from the key remote. Until i fix this i have to use the key in the door.

This however sounds the alarm, when i unlock it, upsetting wife/neighbours, etc...

So Which connector on the alarm module do i unplug so as i dont trip a code or screw up immobilisers, etc..???

Thanks again for any advice

56 minutes ago, marcusjd said:

i'm sure this question has been asked / answered but i cannot find it...

My car has stopped locking from the key remote. Until i fix this i have to use the key in the door.

This however sounds the alarm, when i unlock it, upsetting wife/neighbours, etc...

So Which connector on the alarm module do i unplug so as i dont trip a code or screw up immobilisers, etc..???

Thanks again for any advice

Was my understanding that key in door, and then key in the ignition within 10 seconds will stop the alarm from sounding.

Hi,

I am in the same situation as you in that I have to lock and unlock with my key. The previous owner must have un plugged the siren but when unlocking the hazard warning lights start flashing so I have to put the key in the  ignition and turn to stop the lights. For some reason I also have to unlock the passenger door from the inside. I put up with this due to the cost of getting the key fob reprogrammed .

5 hours ago, ANL said:

Hi,

I am in the same situation as you in that I have to lock and unlock with my key. The previous owner must have un plugged the siren but when unlocking the hazard warning lights start flashing so I have to put the key in the  ignition and turn to stop the lights. For some reason I also have to unlock the passenger door from the inside. I put up with this due to the cost of getting the key fob reprogrammed .

Same here. F’ing annoying 

Well i'm still in trouble.... horn also sounds when alarm goes off. hadn't noticed properly as the siren really screams.. so alarm only disconnection a bit pointless

Going to have to investigate via an auto electrician soon.

Will keep posted.

Different countries have different regulations on how car security devices must be set up eg how long the alarm sounds after activation and how the device is switched on and off.  The alarm system in 986 cars can be set up with 4 defined security feature variants, to meet the regulations of 4 groups of countries.

Normally, UK cars are set up so that, as a back-up if the remote isn't working, the alarm can be de-activated by manually unlocking the car then inserting the key in the ignition switch within 10 seconds.

However your car alarm may be coded to "country group 4", the highest security level.  In this mode the alarm can only be switched off by use of the radio remote control in the key AND the transponder signal picked up by the key inserted in the ignition lock within 10 seconds.  If the radio remote control key doesn't work then the alarm CAN'T be de-activated, even if the door is opened manually and the key is inserted in the ignition lock (which seems to be your situation).

Thus getting the remote to work could be your answer.  Obviously check the battery.  Correct operation of the microswitches in the remote is the next thing to look at.  Failing all that I'm afraid a visit to an OPC or good independent will be required.

You will need a Porsche System Tester to find out what country group code is set and to change the country group code setting to a lower level of security if you want.  It is unlikely that a non-Porsche experienced auto electrician will be able to do this.  Sadly I don't think Durametric can be used to change alarm settings either.

On 2/28/2022 at 2:11 PM, marcusjd said:

Well i'm still in trouble.... horn also sounds when alarm goes off. hadn't noticed properly as the siren really screams.. so alarm only disconnection a bit pointless

A micro fibre cloth pushed up the horn of the siren and cable tied in place mutes it very effectively and allows it to remain connected to the other car systems.

Works so well that you can only just hear it when stood next to the car with the engine running.

The first time I disconnected my main battery (had a duff ignition switch that meant that the key turned to position 1 trick didn't work ), the darn thing went  off about a couple of feet from my ear and it was truly painful ...... and it just keeps going and going for about ten minutes and, because the ignition switch was duff, even running the engine wouldn't turn it off.

My workshop manual indicates that country groups 1 and 4 involve a maximum alarm horn time of 30 seconds (warbling).  Country group 2 requires the alarm to sound for 30 seconds continuous tone.  Country group 3 has a maximum horn time of 4 minutes (warbling).

When the alarm is blasting in your ear it seems much longer!