Sandy

resarf

2 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

What is a door module? Is it expensive from the dealer? 

It's the door lock mechanism/module... It resides inside the door and connects onto the metal latch on the chasis when you close the door. There are microswitches inside the module that fail. There is a video somewhere of a repair, but it looks hideously complicated. Your best bet is to call OPC with your reg and ask for a door lock mechanism, mine was around a 100 quid a few years ago. Drivers side is very common to go, as generally it's used more. 

I believe people have put VW Golf modules in (no Porsche tax), but possibly need modifications. 

• Like 1

VW Golf Mk5 door lock module will fit.  You'll just need to snip a piece of red plastic off for clearance.  It will be obvious which part when you compare the two.

They are different passenger side to drivers side, so make sure you get the correct side.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sanky said:

When you open the door and window goes down a bit, does it stay down or does it go up soon as you let go of the outside door handle?

As soon as I let go it goes back up, makes it really difficult to shut and even harder to MOT!

11 hours ago, Daboy3000 said:

As soon as I let go it goes back up, makes it really difficult to shut and even harder to MOT!

It’s the micro switch on the outside of the door module.  As has been said already replace the module or replace the micro switch.

3 hours ago, Sanky said:

It’s the micro switch on the outside of the door module.  As has been said already replace the module or replace the micro switch.

Thanks, going to start with removing it and seeing if it can be fixed. I'm not as quick just to replace stuff, I think trooper88 has a slightly higher budget than me. An oem replacement is more than 10% of my cars value! 

10 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

Thanks, going to start with removing it and seeing if it can be fixed. I'm not as quick just to replace stuff, I think trooper88 has a slightly higher budget than me. An oem replacement is more than 10% of my cars value! 

Fix it once, fix it right.

The same topic about modules comes up daily! :)

Genuine used part!! £70 is the going rate and 20 mins to change

1 hour ago, TROOPER88 said:

Fix it once, fix it right.

The same topic about modules comes up daily! :)

Genuine used part!! £70 is the going rate and 20 mins to change

You are 100% right.  

But I don't have that kind of budget right now, this is a long term project, but thanks for the info and if I can't fix it I will just get a used OEM one when I can. 

7 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

You are 100% right.  

But I don't have that kind of budget right now, this is a long term project, but thanks for the info and if I can't fix it I will just get a used OEM one when I can. 

What side do you need?

I think I have a few passenger side genuine used modules. If so, you can have one :) 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

What side do you need?

I think I have a few passenger side genuine used modules. If so, you can have one :) 

Ah man,  that's really kind of you.

Unfortunately though it's the drivers side I need. Typical

On 3/11/2022 at 3:59 PM, Daboy3000 said:

That looks like it.  The red plastic part to the right of the second picture is the part that needs to be trimmed.

Make sure you double check how many pins your electrical connector has compared to that as well.  From memory, there was a change, but I cant remember when.  If you're really on a tight budget, you can probably get a second hand unit for the Golf on ebay.

• Like 1

Early (1996/7/8) 986 models use 8-pin connection door lock actuator/modules.  Later 986 models changed to 9 pin.  Afraid I don't know the exact date of changeover but believe it to be 1999.

To sort out an intermittent microswitch/window drop problem in my car, I fitted an inexpensive VW Golf/Passat/Leon door lock actuator provided new by RTG Automotive on ebay for £21.95p including postage.  Came with 5-year warranty.  Fairly easy to fit.  Has worked well for 3 years now without problems.  Can't complain about that.  Not every part for a 986 has to incur "Porsche tax"!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tonyplymouth said:

Early (1996/7/8) 986 models use 8-pin connection door lock actuator/modules.  Later 986 models changed to 9 pin.  Afraid I don't know the exact date of changeover but believe it to be 1999.

To sort out an intermittent microswitch/window drop problem in my car, I fitted an inexpensive VW Golf/Passat/Leon door lock actuator provided new by RTG Automotive on ebay for £21.95p including postage.  Came with 5-year warranty.  Fairly easy to fit.  Has worked well for 3 years now without problems.  Can't complain about that.  Not every part for a 986 has to incur "Porsche tax"!

Great info, thanks! 

15 hours ago, tonyplymouth said:

Important correction .  Just checked in my official Porsche 986 wiring diagrams.  The change from 8 pin to 9 pin door lock actuators came into effect for model year 1998.  So to recap:  1996 and 1997 use 8 pin modules, 1998 on use 9 pin.

Thanks, almost bit the bullet on a 9 pin that said it was for early cars, mines a 1996. 

16 hours ago, tonyplymouth said:

Important correction .  Just checked in my official Porsche 986 wiring diagrams.  The change from 8 pin to 9 pin door lock actuators came into effect for model year 1998.  So to recap:  1996 and 1997 use 8 pin modules, 1998 on use 9 pin.

47 minutes ago, Daboy3000 said:

Thanks, almost bit the bullet on a 9 pin that said it was for early cars, mines a 1996. 

Whilst built in 1996 the earliest Boxster model year is 1997...  In the parts cat there is a long list of module options (with obviously VAG part numbers) and yes, 1997 is different from 1998 onwards parts.  It is a bit of a mine field with LHD and RHD options too but I hope the lists below help.

qBBjR84.jpg 

AtES6Kn.jpg 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daboy3000 said:

Against all advice I have bought one for £23 with a 5 year warranty.  I might replace it when funds are better.

8N*****  Isn't that Audi's part numbering system?

Yes, - (with obviously VAG part numbers) was in my post....  If you are a bit nerdy like me you do come across quite a few VAG part numbers in the Porsche parts listings.