981 upgrade thoughts

Dermot

8 hours ago, Dermot said:

Great thoughts everyone, do I need the power jump from a non-S in reality?  I have not driven a GTS yet, I can't find one within 50miles of me   I have thought of fitting a PSE  as some have suggested.   

Like others I mistakenly thought you were going from an S to a GTS, but can understand that attraction of Non S to GTS.

I had the 2.7 in manual and moved to the 3.4 S in PDK. Yes the 3.4 is quicker and has more torque but I find I can't have as much fun using the full rev range in the 3.4 as it gets to illegal speeds much quicker. See if you can find an S local and have a test drive, the performance jump from the non S to the S will give you an idea of the GTS power as that's only another 15bhp more I think (315bhp to 330bhp)

Alternatively pop on the PSE on yours, the 2.7 I had came with it and it was awesome, stick on an extended warranty, enjoy it and pocket the spare cash for other things

• Like 2

I have recently upgraded from a 987.1 3.2S to a 2015 981 GTS. Test drove a 718 2.5T (performed amazingly but lacked character). test drove a 4.0 GTS and placed a new car order, realised I couldn’t be patient cancelled said order and purchased the 981 😂

Covered about 350 miles in first week, it’s great fun car to drive and it sounds great with PSE valves open.

I would recommend you have a test drive and see what you think, yes they are expensive at £50k but life’s short, live a little 😉

On 3/19/2022 at 2:08 PM, Dermot said:

Great thoughts everyone, do I need the power jump from a non-S in reality?  I have not driven a GTS yet, I can't find one within 50miles of me   I have thought of fitting a PSE  as some have suggested.   

I’m overseas until mid April, if you are still stuck by then and haven’t managed to test drive one, I’m happy to take you out in mine as a passenger.

21 hours ago, daz05 said:

The 2.7 is quite a rewarding engine to drive on the road and I quite like how they sound, it's going to get out dragged on the straight for sure but within the realms of fast road speeds there is less in it than the numbers would have you believe.

It is of course nice to have the extra grunt for those times where you feel the need to get away from something that wants to try and make a point.

Exactly!

On last week’s blast around Wales we had a good mix of Boxsters including a 4.0.  My 2.7 wasn’t holding anyone up, I could’ve gone quicker, we were going plenty quick enough, it sounded fantastic, and someone commented they were surprised it wasn’t an S.

In the real world on country lanes it doesn’t make much difference at all.

However my Autotrader search is still running for an S and GTS despite it making no sense to ‘upgrade’.  I’m not deleting it.   It would cost more money without much logical justification, but we always want more eh?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moospeed said:

Exactly!

On last week’s blast around Wales we had a good mix of Boxsters including a 4.0.  My 2.7 wasn’t holding anyone up, I could’ve gone quicker, we were going plenty quick enough, it sounded fantastic, and someone commented they were surprised it wasn’t an S.

In the real world on country lanes it doesn’t make much difference at all.

However my Autotrader search is still running for an S and GTS despite it making no sense to ‘upgrade’.  I’m not deleting it.   It would cost more money without much logical justification, but we always want more eh?

My friend has a 911 turbo and the same applies. I'm sure it would leave a big gap on the autobahn but after driving it, the power is fun but you just can't use it without going OTT.