986 passenger window faulty

Bobby Russell

I have a Boxster S 986 2000 and after washing it at the weekend, now have a faulty window.
The problem started when the window would not go up fully and stopped as if it was catching on something and wouldn't go fully up, stopping about 2 inches shy of fully closed.There was a grinding noise when the window reached the point where it wouldn't close properly.

It would go down ok but not close properly.

In order to secure the car properly I ended up man handling the window up to a closed position and now the window doesn't operate at all despite hearing the mechanism working when the button is pressed.

Anyone experienced this problem, how can I fix it myself?

Any tips?

2 hours ago, Bobby Russell said:

I have a Boxster S 986 2000 and after washing it at the weekend, now have a faulty window.
The problem started when the window would not go up fully and stopped as if it was catching on something and wouldn't go fully up, stopping about 2 inches shy of fully closed.There was a grinding noise when the window reached the point where it wouldn't close properly.

In order to secure the car properly I ended up man handling the window up to a closed position and now the window doesn't operate at all despite hearing the mechanism working when the button is pressed.

Any tips?

Window regulator. Changed one a few months ago. The cable will have frayed and causing it to jam. 

3 hours ago, Bobby Russell said:

Any tips?

My passenger side one went a couple of years or so ago.  I contemplated a new Porsche one as lots of bad reports on aftermarket ones.  In the end I opted for a salvage one (make sure it is from a 986 otherwise you end up messing around with stops for the opening drop, which is one of the problem with after market ones) for about £35 on the basis I could afford to swap 3 more on either side of the car before I got to the Porsche price for just the one.  It took me about 2 hours.  Be careful of the inner door membrane and re-fix with butyl tape, otherwise you can get a water leak into the cabin, and get about 5 door card clips as some will break.

On 3/23/2022 at 3:52 PM, mike597 said:

Sounds like the window regulator has gone. It's a fairly easy job to swap it out about 1.25 hours at an indy. Use a genuine part if you can. Should be some posts on here if you want to DIY. 

This and this and it might be this, and did I mention it’s probably this ^^^^^^