Drive from Birmingham to Halifax, then return to Surrey...

allatsea

Next week I've got a couple of days in Halifax. I will be driving up from Birmingham, staying over and then returning to Surrey. I've probably got quite a bit of spare time for both journeys and time in hand over the two days I'm there.....so a question for those who live in that part of the country or know it well....are there any bits of road, routes that you'd seek out to drive? Is its worth a trip into the Peak District on the way north? Is there a loop into the countryside around Halifax worth going out of my way for? At some stage I'll also go across to Leeds, is there a special way I should go? Most of the journeys will be done during the week/not especially early/late. Will I just get clogged up by traffic and wish I was back on the motorway!! 

Thanks in advance.

Put this in the Meets section.  If you can get up at 5.30 am I'm sure a couple of regulars here will show you some nice roads, back by lunchtime?

...though when you park up back at your meeting hotel / Auntie Mabel's, check there is no plastic phallus stuck to the back of your car before you walk away.

22 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Put this in the Meets section.  If you can get up at 5.30 am I'm sure a couple of regulars here will show you some nice roads, back by lunchtime?

...though when you park up back at your meeting hotel / Auntie Mabel's, check there is no plastic phallus stuck to the back of your car before you walk away.

Is this a 'standard Yorkshire greeting'?

44 minutes ago, Menoporsche said:

Novice mistake.

The plastic knob always goes on the front of the car 🤐

Just now, anthonysjb said:

Avoid the M1 back like the plague, M40 a much nicer drive if a little longer!

Thanks, I will, originally from Birmingham and still have family there so go back fairly regularly, ended up coming back on the M1 at Easter after they closed the M40...reminded me to 'avoid'.