Best place to buy decent coffin arms

andygo

I'm going to replace my coffin arms/droplinks and tuning forks more as a preventative measure than neccesity but wondered where the best place is to purchase from.

I have purchased coffin arms in the distant past from a company in Kent i think it was, but can't remember what it was called. They had a good reputation and the service was excellent.

Any suggestions chaps?

Ha, just worked out who it was, Spyder Performance. Any better suggestions for a supplier?

Edited by andygo

Spyder Performance do get a lot of good reviews for their 9x6 and 9x7 suspension parts.  No reason to think 9x1 parts would be any different.  Meyle also get a lot of mentions for after market parts.

• 2 weeks later...

Meyle rear ones seem to be hard to source at the mo, but have just received a pair of Spyder Performance ones. Normal ones are out of stock so I plumped for a pair with Powerflex bushes which were a reasonable £90 each. Fitting them in a day or so, wondering if the NVH is going to be rubbish.

37 minutes ago, BBB said:

Mine is 987, but I had the same issue of standard Spyder arms out of stock, so they gave me powerflex bushed ones for the same price. No NVH issues at all.

Did you need to have it aligned afterwards? My inner bolts are eccentric - eg bolt head has a cam shaped washer integrated to alter camber?

Good  hear that NVH is OK. Whats the longevity on these bushes? At least they  can be replace for not a lot of money!

It's a pants design, my 987.2 with just 20,000 miles, front coffin arm needed swapping as one had a broken ball joint!

Do they call them coffin arms as they are always dying?

41 minutes ago, andygo said:

Did you need to have it aligned afterwards? My inner bolts are eccentric - eg bolt head has a cam shaped washer integrated to alter camber?

Good  hear that NVH is OK. Whats the longevity on these bushes? At least they  can be replace for not a lot of money!

It's a pants design, my 987.2 with just 20,000 miles, front coffin arm needed swapping as one had a broken ball joint!

Do they call them coffin arms as they are always dying?

You will need an alignment.

Coffin arms?  Look at the shape....?

Life? On my 986 100k miles and 20 year on the originals. Design is still similar on the 981, but the poly bushes, who knows?  There were some failures on earlier cars when coffin arms were retrofitted with poly bushes as they increased the load in to arm itself as they didn't flex as much as the rubber bushes.  The suspension system relies on the flex of the rubber, the mounting bolts just clamp up to the metal inserts in the bushes, a poly bushed arm should really be uprated metal too.

9 hours ago, ½cwt said:

You will need an alignment.

Coffin arms?  Look at the shape....?

Life? On my 986 100k miles and 20 year on the originals. Design is still similar on the 981, but the poly bushes, who knows?  There were some failures on earlier cars when coffin arms were retrofitted with poly bushes as they increased the load in to arm itself as they didn't flex as much as the rubber bushes.  The suspension system relies on the flex of the rubber, the mounting bolts just clamp up to the metal inserts in the bushes, a poly bushed arm should really be uprated metal too.

I knew why they are really called coffin arms, I was being facetious!

Lets see how I get on with them, standard ones seem to be out of stock everywhere apart from OPC which are very expensive.