PSE fun and games..

mchristyuk

So I managed to win an original Porsche Sport Exhaust for my 987 off eBay a few weeks back for a very acceptable price. I spent Friday fitting it (not too bad with the usual swearing and grazed knuckles). However my fun and games were only just about to begin...

As my car didn't have this from the factory I don't have any buttons to actuate the vacuum valves in the exhaust to change between quiet and loud. So to avoid the usual Porsche tax I decided to make something myself. A quick bit of shopping on Amazon and a trip to Halfords and I had assembled everything I believed I needed for a working vacuum switch setup through a remote dongle.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Z5XBr4Q.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/KSyNH3k.jpg[/img]

To my astonishment it all appeared to work.. next job was to plumb it into the car. This also wasn't to bad as it appears there is a spare 12v switched power source on most 987.s in the engine bay with nothing plugged in.. hurrah.. 

With everything connected imagine my disappointment when nothing appeared to change regarding exhaust tone when activated.. hmmm...

Doing some research and digging I ended up dismantling some of the intake tubes to get a better look at the small vacuum pipes and to find out why I have no vacuum...

Well.. turns out that the tandem pump I replaced a few weeks ago not only provides extra vacuum for the brakes, but also to the necessary engine bay ancillaries. Well.. it would have done had a previous owner not disconnected the vacuum pipe (or broke the nipple off!) and glued it closed...

[img]https://i.imgur.com/TUGHJla.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/0xbuyyp.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/zelLxDg.jpg[/img]

So I cleaned out the pipe and hole and epoxied in a new nipple...

[img]https://i.imgur.com/awo2l7E.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/yHFsFfK.jpg[/img]

So now in exchange for losing most my weekend I have gained a functional vacuum system which means a) the flappers in the intake pipes work and b) so does my switchable exhaust!

Oh the joys of car ownership....!

Mark

Edited by mchristyuk
  • Like 3

yHFsFfK.jpg

Take off the leading [img] and trailing [/img] and just paste the bit in the middle like this ^^^

Oh and well done!  You will love PSE...

Edited by rowbos

50 minutes ago, rowbos said:

Take off the leading [img] and trailing [/img] and just paste the bit in the middle like this ^^^

Oh and well done!  You will love PSE...

Annoyingly it won't let me edit my post any more!!

I did have a custom stainless exhaust on it which was great.. but loud ALL the time.. which the wife didn't appreciate quite as much as I did...

So if anybody wants a stainless sports exhaust "loud all the time" for a good price let me know!

Mark

@mchristyuk Copy of your post with photos for you...

So I managed to win an original Porsche Sport Exhaust for my 987 off eBay a few weeks back for a very acceptable price. I spent Friday fitting it (not too bad with the usual swearing and grazed knuckles). However my fun and games were only just about to begin...

As my car didn't have this from the factory I don't have any buttons to actuate the vacuum valves in the exhaust to change between quiet and loud. So to avoid the usual Porsche tax I decided to make something myself. A quick bit of shopping on Amazon and a trip to Halfords and I had assembled everything I believed I needed for a working vacuum switch setup through a remote dongle.

Z5XBr4Q.jpg

KSyNH3k.jpg

To my astonishment it all appeared to work.. next job was to plumb it into the car. This also wasn't to bad as it appears there is a spare 12v switched power source on most 987.s in the engine bay with nothing plugged in.. hurrah.. 

With everything connected imagine my disappointment when nothing appeared to change regarding exhaust tone when activated.. hmmm...

Doing some research and digging I ended up dismantling some of the intake tubes to get a better look at the small vacuum pipes and to find out why I have no vacuum...

Well.. turns out that the tandem pump I replaced a few weeks ago not only provides extra vacuum for the brakes, but also to the necessary engine bay ancillaries. Well.. it would have done had a previous owner not disconnected the vacuum pipe (or broke the nipple off!) and glued it closed...

TUGHJla.jpg

0xbuyyp.jpg

zelLxDg.jpg

So I cleaned out the pipe and hole and epoxied in a new nipple...

awo2l7E.jpg

yHFsFfK.jpg

So now in exchange for losing most my weekend I have gained a functional vacuum system which means a) the flappers in the intake pipes work and b) so does my switchable exhaust!

Oh the joys of car ownership....!

Mark

Edited by iborguk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, scaramanga said:

@mchristyuk I’m looking for a PSE for my 987.2 also.  Was yours a gen2 car ?

if you don’t mind me asking, how much was the system ?

For what it’s worth.  The “upgrade” kit for a 987.2 is approx 1800 inc vat - plus approx 50 for the wiring and 90 for the switch from OPC 

If PCGB or “negotiated” discount take 10% off before vat on those prices (not pushing PCGB but that would pay for your membership if you went that route ) 

thats brackets, mufflers (can’t help but snigger when I type that ), vacuum pipes etc. 

the service bulletin says “and then enable via piwis”. But.  My car.  Previously upgraded by Porsche for pse did not have the piwis enablement  - and the pse worked fine. 

But.  The pse kit is on back order from Porsche.   No expected date. And even then it appears to be not a simple plug and play - there’s a fair amount of plumbing (wire and vacuum ) involved.  

kudos to OP for the diy activation but whatever route you take there is a bunch of time In hooking it up. 

3 minutes ago, Paul P said:

For what it’s worth.  The “upgrade” kit for a 987.2 is approx 1800 inc vat - plus approx 50 for the wiring and 90 for the switch from OPC 

If PCGB or “negotiated” discount take 10% off before vat on those prices (not pushing PCGB but that would pay for your membership if you went that route ) 

thats brackets, mufflers (can’t help but snigger when I type that ), vacuum pipes etc. 

the service bulletin says “and then enable via piwis”. But.  My car.  Previously upgraded by Porsche for pse did not have the piwis enablement  - and the pse worked fine. 

But.  The pse kit is on back order from Porsche.   No expected date. And even then it appears to be not a simple plug and play - there’s a fair amount of plumbing (wire and vacuum ) involved.  

kudos to OP for the diy activation but whatever route you take there is a bunch of time In hooking it up. 

That information all feels familiar 🤔🤭

Paul is quoting from an enquiry I made this week , as he says no ETA re 987.2, just "an update expected in mid-June" re PSE availabilty.

The TSB quotes 450TU or 4.5 hours of labour at an OPC.

• Like 1

What is extraordinary re the digging on this for my car is that standard mufflers are £1300 a side for the 987.2 !

I also know of an Indy who has 3 Pork all lined up for PSE and has been told that the parts are on back order for "months"

Edited by iborguk

15 minutes ago, scaramanga said:

Can the original (non-PSE) mufflers be modified to make a sportier sound ?

No 1st hand experience but google carnewal exhausts or gundo hack

Also eBay seems to have a few “loud” exhausts but they are not to everyone’s taste. 

I managed to get my PSE off eBay for £695 delivered. At that price I couldn't say no!

I spent another £40 or so on Amazon buying the electronics to activate them.. and then probably £20 at Halfords to get the vacuum piping.

The most time consuming parts were cutting the old frozen exhaust bolts and fixing all the broken vacuum piping.. had I not had to perform that it would have been fairly straight forward!

My car didn't have the dash button for the PSE and didn't fancy the cost and hassle of getting it added, hence I went the Amazon route and made my own with a wireless key fob.

I do now have a set of custom made stainless exhaust pipes if anybody wants them for a good price!

Mark

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...