Boot release switch

IainR

The switch to release the front boot from beside the drivers seat has given up the ghost on my car. The boot opens fine from the key so I'm after a replacement switch. But here's the thing if I do a search on Ebay I have a choice of a switch noted as being for a 987 for £14-15 and one for a 981 for the thick end of £70. As far as I can see from the pictures they look identical and the pin out is the same so is there something I'm missing here? If anyone knows the answer I'd be glad to hear from you.

6 hours ago, cptspaulding said:

A few of us, including myself, have gone the eBay route for £14 & found it perfectly functional. Did mine about 6 months back & it's still working fine.

2 hours ago, IainR said:

Excellent, Thanks for that. I shall spend the balance on some V power in that case.

But @cptspaulding's 'My Ride' says he has a 987, so presumably he was just saying that the EBay switch is ok for that. I assume @IainR was hoping that someone could confirm it works on a 981? (I can't help with that myself, I'm afraid, just clarifying in case you missed that detail - perhaps because you were viewing the forum on a phone where it doesn't show people's details.)

6 hours ago, IainR said:

The switch to release the front boot from beside the drivers seat has given up the ghost on my car. The boot opens fine from the key so I'm after a replacement switch. But here's the thing if I do a search on Ebay I have a choice of a switch noted as being for a 987 for £14-15 and one for a 981 for the thick end of £70. As far as I can see from the pictures they look identical and the pin out is the same so is there something I'm missing here? If anyone knows the answer I'd be glad to hear from you.

Search eBay for 981 Boot Switch and you’ll find only originals , it has a different part number and the underside looks different on the photos vs the 987 part. 

OPC with discount (ask for it) will be the cheapest place to buy an original one.

Edited by iborguk

Oh bugger, I didn't notice that bit. Good job I didn't put the order in on the 987 switch. Thanks for the eagle eyed observation. Oh well it looks like I shall just have to trouser up and get it fitted when the car goes in to OPC in Hull for a service at the end of the month. Thanks for the help guys much appreciated.

• 1 month later...