Newbie Question on central locking

300SL-24

Hi my first post

I'm looking to buy my first Boxster and the car that I am considering has a problem with the locking.

The doors open with the key but not the key fob. The key fob will open the boot and bonnet by pressing the buttons. Is this likely to be a small fault or something major to sort out?

The car is a 2001 2.7 

There is a lot of info about central locking issues out there. 

The 986 has the alarm and central locking module under the passenger seat.  Have a very good look under there to see if there is any damp or signs of water damage.  A key can 'lose' its pairing, so if teh car has 2 keys and only one works this is possible, however the other thing that happened is that there is a limit to the number of digital codes that the system will roll over and as such a key then becomes dumb.  Assuming not water damage a new key head and pairing will cost around £300-350 at a Porsche dealer (OPC) or good independent Porsche garage.

10 hours ago, 300SL-24 said:

Hi my first post

I'm looking to buy my first Boxster and the car that I am considering has a problem with the locking.

The doors open with the key but not the key fob. The key fob will open the boot and bonnet by pressing the buttons. Is this likely to be a small fault or something major to sort out?

The car is a 2001 2.7 

If the fob works to open the frunk and the boot but not the unlock the car, it is more than likely a mechanical issue with the fob itself (broken button etc)

The fact that the frunk and the boot still open remotely is telling you that the fob is still communicating with the car.

2 hours ago, TROOPER88 said:

If the fob works to open the frunk and the boot but not the unlock the car, it is more than likely a mechanical issue with the fob itself (broken button etc)

The fact that the frunk and the boot still open remotely is telling you that the fob is still communicating with the car.

Good point Paul.

@300SL-24 you could try this repair service, about £40 all in to get it fixed.  Car Key Repair Service London (keyfobrepair.co.uk) A number of people on here have used them successfully, so now you know the risks try using it as a negotiation tool if otherwise the car is fine.  Let us know where you are in the country as someone local might be able to help you out looking at the car or even go for a pre-purchase inspection although these will tell you everything that isn't good and might scare you as well as the privilege of paying for it.

Be aware though that the rule of thumb is you will spend £1.5 to £2k on repairs and replacements of old tired things like suspension, air con condensers, CV boots, brake discs & pads, even old tyres and possibly corroded brake lines over the first year or so of ownership.  Just remember these are 20+ year old cars you are looking at.

8 hours ago, ½cwt said:

Good point Paul.

@300SL-24 you could try this repair service, about £40 all in to get it fixed.  Car Key Repair Service London (keyfobrepair.co.uk) A number of people on here have used them successfully

Wow that's almost doubled in price since they repaired mine. It is however, a very good service.

Thank you all for your help and advice. I live in Basildon Essex, the car is in Yorkshire.

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1462208

As you can read it has had some work done. IMS, RMB and clutch replacement is unknown. MOT history shows brake pipes need replacing and a small oil leak so there are some concerns. The green interior is not to everyone's taste I appreciate that.

I need a good Porsche Independent in Essex area if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I am fairy handy with the spanners in so far as general servicing etc, but no skills for IMS, Clutch etc on Porsches.

I would appreciate any comments on the car and also if you see anything better around the same price please give me a shout, it's my first Boxster.

It has cruise and computer and the interior looks tidy, not too keen on the wheels TBH.

Many thanks for any input.

Edited by 300SL-24

On 6/11/2022 at 8:46 PM, 300SL-24 said:

I would appreciate any comments on the car and also if you see anything better around the same price please give me a shout, it's my first Boxster.

Did look at the advert but no longer available-did you buy it?

BTW just down the road from you in Westcliff on sea.

On 6/11/2022 at 8:33 PM, 300SL-24 said:

Thank you all for your help and advice. I live in Basildon Essex, the car is in Yorkshire.

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1462208

As you can read it has had some work done. IMS, RMB and clutch replacement is unknown. MOT history shows brake pipes need replacing and a small oil leak so there are some concerns. The green interior is not to everyone's taste I appreciate that.

I need a good Porsche Independent in Essex area if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Can't recommend Barry enough, really nice guy and doesn't charge a fortune.

https://www.brooklandskent.co.uk/