2004 Tiptronic Flashing D & 4 lights

andrewwalling

So  for a while I have had a few issues with my car where the 4 light only was flashing  normally when I started the car cold and after 10 mins and upto temperature it would go off

Now I am getting the flashing D&4 lights and  the tiptronic is not performing correctly

If I put it on the Durametric software I get P0706 upshift/downshift switch

if I clear the fault code tiptronic work fine no problems for the rest of the day next morning I then have the same problem

First gear shift is a bit lumpy and not as smooth

Any suggestions could it just be the Gear Selector Multi Plug Switch

P0706 Selector lever switch implausible

Possible fault cause:

- Fuse E1 is faulty

- Short circuit to B+/ground or open circuit in wiring harness from the multi-function switch

- Multi-function switch is faulty

- Tiptronic control module is faulty

Switch is a frequent root cause.

Correct , although don’t discount the other possible root causes.

If it is the switch suggest get Porsche Centre pricing on it (cut out the middle people/reseller) and ask for discount.

Edited by iborguk

19 hours ago, andrewwalling said:

just to check you suggest the  multi plug switch on the side of the gear box

https://www.design911shop.com/Gear-Selector-Multi-Plug-Switch-Porsche-986---987---987C---996/prod12433/

It's pretty common for the multi switch to go, do check OPC, it'll more than likely be cheaper. Just replaced mine with the same issue. It can be the rod/plastic housing is just broken which is much cheaper to replace. Worth getting it checked first. 

• 3 weeks later...

having problem to remove the transmission mount and bracket completely out of the way to get to the two screws to remove the old switch

The bracket looks different to all the U tube videos and step by step guides

Does any one have any suggestions 

3 hours ago, andrewwalling said:

having problem to remove the transmission mount and bracket completely out of the way to get to the two screws to remove the old switch

The bracket looks different to all the U tube videos and step by step guides

Does any one have any suggestions 

The Tiptronic cars have a different bracket from the manual cars. When I replaced my transmission mounts on my tip car I found that if you move the jack that you are using to support the gearbox up or down you should be able to find a position that allows removal of the old mount and bracket. I found that the transmission mount and bracket on the opposite side of the gearbox from the selector switch side was actually a lot more awkward to remove because of the oil cooler right beside it